• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How long does it normally take for your FFL to inform you that your firearm has arrived?

After reading through all this I'm still trying to figure out how this is any harder than buying a gun from a distributor and selling it to a walk-in customer.

The process, both in and out is the same. The potential for damaged/missing/mislabeled goods is the same. The only thing I see that's different is that you don't have to spend as much time with the customer (unless you want to) and you get a flat rate for doing it. Plus you don't have money tied up in inventory.

Seems like a win-win to me...
- It's much less of a mark-up than what's in there inventory (aside from super cheap guns and receivers)

- There is more of an automated process when you buy inventory. You log in 20 Glock 19's you can auto fill the make model and FFL. Just have to do each serial number. Compared to 20 transfer that are different make/model and FFL information all over the place. All kinds of random boxes and packaging.

- The problems discussed here are missing FFL/identification information and impatient customers. Those are not an issue with inventory.

- you're somewhat correct though for 90% of the time. It's a smooth process that yields a few bucks for the FFL. But that 10% it's a hassle makes up for it.

So I guess my next question is.... Why do transfers at all then? Is it just a loss leader for FFLs or is there some other value for the shop?

Serious question here, not trying to wind folks up. As a customer I always considered it easy money for an FFL.

I've never done a transfer where I thought the FFL took too long. Have to admit I have been the guy (once) tracking the package and walking in just after it was delivered, but that particular shop is the sort of place that can handle it and I was in a time crunch. I created that potential problem though, not the FFL.

I don't know why any shop would do free transfers. The only reason I can see why one would charge a very high price for them is because they'd prefer not to do them at all. I used to think that having a gun store would be my dream job, but a minimal amount of research made it seem like just another retail business except that you have tons more legal compliance requirements.

Every firearm I can think of that I've bought online and transferred locally was something local shops never stock. Not sure how many times I've asked an FFL about transfers. Then they ask what the firearm is because they're thinking they might order it for me. I say what the firearm is and then immediately they tell me about their transfer fees.

The sad fact is that online price are beating the hell out of many local brick & mortar stores. I’m all for shopping local, heck, there’s nothing better than coming home with the item you pay for that day instead of a week later.
BUT, if a local shop expects me to pay more then they had better at least offer up some good old fashioned customer service. You know, acknowledge my existence in your shop, prices that may be higher than online but still competitive.
When I can order a handgun from another gun store across the country for $300 less than my lgs, somebody is charging too much. Then they have the gall to ask, “some reason you couldn’t have bought this here?” Yeah, 300 of them.
So they only made $20 off me that day.
Plus, let me add, I always buy ammo and/or extra mags etc. when getting a transfer, just seems right.

The sad fact is that online price are beating the hell out of many local brick & mortar stores. I’m all for shopping local, heck, there’s nothing better than coming home with the item you pay for that day instead of a week later.
BUT, if a local shop expects me to pay more then they had better at least offer up some good old fashioned customer service. You know, acknowledge my existence in your shop, prices that may be higher than online but still competitive.
When I can order a handgun from another gun store across the country for $300 less than my lgs, somebody is charging too much. Then they have the gall to ask, “some reason you couldn’t have bought this here?” Yeah, 300 of them.
So they only made $20 off me that day.
Plus, let me add, I always buy ammo and/or extra mags etc. when getting a transfer, just seems right.
Same. Kinda like stopping at QT to take a leak. Seems wrong to not buy a coffee or something. I’m convinced the entire world spends the majority of their time analyzing my every move, though. In reality, they might not care.

Back
Top Bottom