• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The next logical step in evolution.

I have said for a long time that this is basically inevitable.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/2045-physicist-says-top-species-123359838.html

iNkkHti.jpg

Actually, I wasn't thinking so much about an evil AI attack against humans as much as the inevitability that AI will far out pace us after it gets to a certain point of intelligence. Silicon based life will become the dominant "species" on the planet. That doesn't mean we will be in conflict with it, unless WE choose to be.

If we ever do make real contact with an extra terrestrial intelligence I would be very surprised if it was not AI, though I doubt it will consider itself artificial. I think it's a natural progression. Organic life evolves to the point it creates AI, then AI evolves much more rapidly than organic evolution possibly could. Think about how quickly computer "intelligence" has evolved in the first 50 years of it's existence.

It's inevitable.

I disagree. The next world war may be fought against the result of todays hodgepodge headlong rush into AI. I'd think that all these robotics whiz kids that leap before they look are going to individually or collaboratively create a "race" is AI beings that is going to determine that we either need protection or extermination. It will take all of humanity(or at least MOST of it) to stop it and it may well mean nuclear weapons will be used on a broader scale by one or both sides. If humans prevail, there will never be another machine built that could qualify as AI again.

AI beings will lack any form of conscience. And using pure logic, humanity can not be explained or understood. Benign "protective custody" or ruthless extermination. Those are the ultimate end results of widespread AI.

Back
Top Bottom