• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Those of you with suppressors...

Was your suppressor worth it?

• hell yeah!

• I guess

• nope

• I was told there would be cake...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Suppressors on pistols and rimfire are definitely worth it. Haven't tried a rifle suppressor yet but might pick up a Wolverine in the future for my Krinkov.

Currently have a Rugged Oculus and Obsidian 9, and an SD suppressor for my MP5SD but that lives on that gun, lol. Was thinking of picking up a YHM R9 as a dedicated PCC can.

My 2 cents:

Suppressors are awesome if you shoot in your backyard or private range, but almost pointless if you only shoot at a public range.

Rugged Obsidian 45 is awesome on 22lr, sounds almost as good as my DA Mask. Obviously the mask is better on 22lr because it's so much smaller. I haven't shot my Obsidian since I got my Silencerco OMG9 though, it's stupid light and sounds about the same as my Obsidian in K configuration, but being a sealed can is a no-go for 22lr.

ETA, don't cheap out on something you have to wait a year to get, buy the best.

Suppressors on pistols and rimfire are definitely worth it. Haven't tried a rifle suppressor yet but might pick up a Wolverine in the future for my Krinkov.

Currently have a Rugged Oculus and Obsidian 9, and an SD suppressor for my MP5SD but that lives on that gun, lol. Was thinking of picking up a YHM R9 as a dedicated PCC can.
Skip the Wolverine as it isn't hearing safe on a AK47. 240 Bravo they were shooting was actually quite in full auto.

Rifle and major caliber pistols are better suppressed versus nothing, but if you can only choose one silencer, I’d recommend a .22 as they are movie quiet. Also, I strongly suggest researching to make sure you don’t buy one with noticeable FRP (first round pop) which sounds distinctly like a gunshot and the rest sound suppressed. A top rated .22 suppressor will sound Hollywood quiet.

The SWR/Silencerco Spectre2 (out of production) is among the best being 100% stainless and ultra quiet. The guy that created that (Henry) started his own company and his entry is the Rugged Oculus. The Dead Air Mask is also known to not have FRP.

Avoid the Silencerco Sparrow. It has FRP like crazy.

This was the selection at my local dealer (Bullseye in Lawrenceville) March 31st when I got to collect my Q ThunderChicken.

View attachment 6055931

View attachment 6055932
The Silencerco Spectre2 is one of my favorite cans!

.22 through a .45 can.... I doubt that will work very well.

It will be like dropping a pebble down a well. LOTS of gas will escape in the free space between the bullet and the baffles. I expect it will work more as a blast can than a suppressor.

.22 through a .45 can.... I doubt that will work very well.

It will be like dropping a pebble down a well. LOTS of gas will escape in the free space between the bullet and the baffles. I expect it will work more as a blast can than a suppressor.
Worst part is the lead buildup. The volume of a 9mm or .45 makes for a decent suppression but if you have an Octane9 or TiRant etc the lead buildup on the birdcage is orders of magnitude worse than major pistol Cal.

.22 needs a dedicated rimfire can, and ones chosen due to serviceability just as important as sound. Easy to disassemble when very dirty and can withstand the “dip” or sonic.

22 sounds good through bigger cans. It's unneeded weight and volume, and as stated above 22 will lead up a can and make a mess. Through a pistol can it's annoying, but a rifle can you can dump a few rounds of supersonic rifle rounds through it and "clean it" a little, but still not best practices.

my 22 can had about 10k rounds through it before I cleaned it for the first time. It weighed probably 3 pounds at that point and had almost no volume left...

Alright I thought on it a few days after reading everyone's input... I think I'm going to start off with a dedicated .22 can and just get a threaded barrel for my SR22 or something like that. I'm still getting a 10mm, make no mistake about that! But, yeah, it's probably stupid to start off with a suppressor for a caliber that really doesn't want to be suppressed. That Banish 22 from Silencer Central is looking pretty sweet.

Alright I thought on it a few days after reading everyone's input... I think I'm going to start off with a dedicated .22 can and just get a threaded barrel for my SR22 or something like that. I'm still getting a 10mm, make no mistake about that! But, yeah, it's probably stupid to start off with a suppressor for a caliber that really doesn't want to be suppressed. That Banish 22 from Silencer Central is looking pretty sweet.

I’d recommend seeing how it compares to the most popular 22 suppressors. There’s a reason why everyone raves about the mask, oculus, element, switchback, tbac, etc. I’ve not heard anyone rave about the banish, but also haven’t really looked at the suppressor market in a couple years.

First round pop sucks, you may want to avoid any 22 suppressor with FRP.

Back
Top Bottom