• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck broken into looking for advice

titan2k10

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
33   0
Reaction score
Long story short my truck was broken into I filed a police report. My question is since I know that I can't use lethal force to protect my property what if I caught them in the act and fired a shot into the ground to get them to halt a crime? Could I be charged with anything for that? This is at my parents in a cul de sac in a neighborhood. My parents house/car has been broken into 3 times in the past 4 months. This has gotten out of hand and the police are showing an extreme lack of interest or intent to follow up on it and the other houses and cars broken into recently. This is in Loganville,GA so its not the hoods of Atlanta either. Any advice on potential ideas or legal ramifications of discharging in the ground to stop a crime would be much appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Titan

Not recommended. If it ricochets or fragments and hits someone, you've got a problem as you have no justification for firing. For property, I would not draw or show my weapon.

Last edited:
Probably discharging within city limits, assault with a deadly weapon. I would arm yourself with video than risk your 2A over things that can be replaced. I share your frustration!

Thanks for the heads up. What if I declare that I am armed and for them to cease their actions and get on the ground? < This is what I would do initially anyways. Hell the money and material items aren't worth someones lives and I know this but it has been too frequent and too intrusive to continue.

A buddy of mine caught 2 guys breaking into his car , made them lie on the ground until the police got there .

( HOW ) you ask . His dogs laser pointer toy . Pointed at one of the guys chest . Said the next move may be his last .One was so scared he pissed his pants .

Trail cams, flood lights and a dog that barks would be a good first line of defense. I would keep the weapon near in case it turns for the worse but just remember if you pull it you better have a good reason and be ready to use it because if they are armed and they see you have a gun they will dang sure use theirs. I wish you luck in catching these pieces of crap!

Post signs on the cars, property, that they are being recorded on camera. If they think they are being recorded, chances are they will find an easier target,

Or, sign in a very conspicuous spot that says thieves and trespasser will be shot!

Back
Top Bottom