• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck broken into looking for advice

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-24
Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Section A says you are legally allowed to threaten use of force. Then Section B goes on to state that you can't actually use said force unless " person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." So.... just hope they don't call your bluff lol.

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-24
Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Section A says you are legally allowed to threaten use of force. Then Section B goes on to state that you can't actually use said force unless " person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." So.... just hope they don't call your bluff lol.

With this statute behind me I'd have no problem detaining someone I caught breaking into my vehicle at gunpoint. Whether or not I escalated force would be entirely up to them.

Probably discharging within city limits, assault with a deadly weapon. I would arm yourself with video than risk your 2A over things that can be replaced. I share your frustration!

This plus, depending on how bad the LEO or others wanted to push it, child endangerment, multiple counts of all. I feel your pain mine got hit two weeks ago.

With this statute behind me I'd have no problem detaining someone I caught breaking into my vehicle at gunpoint. Whether or not I escalated force would be entirely up to them.
That's what I was thinking. They can listen to me or run... but if they come at me (an armed person) then I believe that would be escalating to a possible forcible felony.

Just remember if you CAN NOT legally fire your weapon at a perp you can not fire it in the ground or whatever you decide to do, and most of the time: if you have time for a warning shot you have time to get away/change the situation somehow

A rat trap with a $5 bill in the floor board just set it every night. Tape a razor blade under the glove box handel with double side tape. Do not leave the car unlocked. And keep car in your driveway ie property.get a bb gun or pepper spray when you hear the thieves bleeding spray them with pepper spray and call the cops, tell them to stop and bring donuts and take their time. Tell the theives you put posion on the trap and razor blade to increase their blood pressure for increase bleeding. Tell them the only way to clean the wound is urine and offer to pee on them to help clean the wound.

A rat trap with a $5 bill in the floor board just set it every night. Tape a razor blade under the glove box handel with double side tape. Do not leave the car unlocked. And keep car in your driveway ie property.get a bb gun or pepper spray when you hear the thieves bleeding spray them with pepper spray and call the cops, tell them to stop and bring donuts and take their time. Tell the theives you put posion on the trap and razor blade to increase their blood pressure for increase bleeding. Tell them the only way to clean the wound is urine and offer to pee on them to help clean the wound.

lmao got to remember that one

Something like this should do the trick! Mount it under the dash with pepper spray or something that goes bang. Bought on GUNBROKER. You must also mount a hidden camera just to watch the fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just awesome...hats off to you Sir!.. how legal would something like this be i wonder..best case/ worst case charges... Rat trap could be explained...razor would be hard.. I guess how far could a non lethal trap be taken before you get in real trouble...

But seriously those pos bastards would learn a lesson..

Back
Top Bottom