• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Truck broken into looking for advice

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-24
Use of force in defense of property other than a habitation

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to prevent or terminate such other's trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property:

(1) Lawfully in his possession;

(2) Lawfully in the possession of a member of his immediate family; or

(3) Belonging to a person whose property he has a legal duty to protect.

(b) The use of force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm to prevent trespass on or other tortious or criminal interference with real property other than a habitation or personal property is not justified unless the person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Section A says you are legally allowed to threaten use of force. Then Section B goes on to state that you can't actually use said force unless " person using such force reasonably believes that it is necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony." So.... just hope they don't call your bluff lol.

Good post righter13...

OP, it would be good to educate yourself on the laws on the Use of Deadly Force by spending time on gacarry.org clicking the link that takes you to the actual laws & researching them at length... or you could take a class ( I know a guy:D).

But in all seriousness before rushing out to confront the possible perps. & expecting 16-3-24 to be your saving grace it would be best to learn the definition of "forcible felony" as it pertains to Use of Deadly Force.
It would also be very helpful to learn what is referred to as the "Reasonable Man Doctrine" regarding the same subject.

Put one of these in a burlap sack in the front seat for a few nights.
You know damn well they will open it when they get in there.
Our friend Mr Cottonmouth.

View attachment 187530

I love it...
"i caught it in my yard and didn't want to take it in the house before i drove it away and let it go officer, so i left it in my car"

And as previously stated... no warning shots. I've already had one "student" sent to me by a judge for unlawful discharge within city limits.
While it may only be a misdemeanor charge you stand to lose your carry permit assuming you have one. Plus you are responsible for every bullet that comes out of that gun.
You could also be hit with reckless endangerment.

Calling 911 is always a good idea. Regardless of the local P.D.'s disposition there will be a record of your call which could be relevent for many reasons.

Also, what if someone makes a "man with a gun call", local P.D. is right around the corner, comes up blacked out, & sees or hears the shot... then sees you standing there with a gun in your hand?

Who do you think they will think is the threat?

That's how "good guys" get shot.

Not necessarily the right option for your situation but here is one of two or three small notes I occasionally put in my door windows or seats when I'm away from my vehicle when I've got my "Firearms Training" signs on it and a goblin might entertain the idea of breaking into it.
I've actually witnessed two people read them & briskly walk away. I doubt they were intent on anything but they help "keep honest people honest".

Attachments

• IMAG1015-1.jpg
    IMAG1015-1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
With this statute behind me I'd have no problem detaining someone I caught breaking into my vehicle at gunpoint. Whether or not I escalated force would be entirely up to them.

By the way, I do not disagree w/ this statement.
In our local courts (in most circumstances) I feel that an investigator, judge, and/ or jury would feel that to be "reasonable"

I would still call or have someone call 911 for the reasons stated earlier.

Not necessarily the right option for your situation but here is one of two or three small notes I occasionally put in my door windows or seats when I'm away from my vehicle when I've got my "Firearms Training" signs on it and a goblin might entertain the idea of breaking into it.
I've actually witnessed two people read them & briskly walk away. I doubt they were intent on anything but they help "keep honest people honest".

Nice tidbit, thanks..

Most folks don't realize this but some vehicals "built in " garage openers still work with the vertical off. Makes losing a car stereo and some change much more serious if the car is parked in you're driveway.

Back
Top Bottom