• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Unknowingly traded a stolen firearm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn sorry to hear about this- I've never liked the way Armslist looks personally. Again, I hate to hear about the problems for both of you.

If you don't have it, and there is no record you ever had it, did you really have it?

If you had a bill of sale, you would know who to go beat the tar out of. :)
Yes cause he admitted it on here. If you guys think there aren't Leo's watching this site just like they check pawn shops your kidding yourselves. I'm with the others, tell the truth and suck it up to doing business with strangers.

FWIW (this is NOT legal advise) BUT...I think you will be fine. For example, possession (receiving) of stolen property, the DA must prove that you knew or should have known it was stolen. IF the value was close to market and it had the docs there is no reason you should have suspected it was stolen. However if the thing is worth like $600 and you paid $200 that is a RED FLAG and a different story.

I had a friend ask me to check on a Pistol his son in-law had pick up at a gun show. I asked him why and he told me that his son in law had purchased it in the parking lot outside the show..When he told me the price, I told him it maybe stolen..I suggested running it thought GCIC, and told him if their was a hit I would have to keep it..As it turns out it was stolen..8 months later I had the GBI and SO knock on my door, and question me as to where I had come upon the weapon? I told them and they left. I called my friend and told him to expect a visit..He told them the truth and that was the end of the story..Burden of proof is with, law enforcement..
I'm confused ???, from what I gather from your post your a LEO and you confiscated a pistol due to the numbers being HOT from a friend and you turned it in. 8 months later the GBI and SO deputy knocked on your door to ask where you got the pistol ...........so you're not required to write a report on paper/computer as to how you came upon this pistol ?..........what is the normal process of such confiscation, throw it on a shelf in a storage room and hope memory is 100% months/years later ?? Does'nt sound to efficient to me. I ask these questions as someone who has had a valuable firearm stolen in the past and still waiting on its return, your post makes me wonder if it's been recovered and just sitting on a shelf in a storage room with no paper work or report and if I'll ever see it again.

TELL THE WHOLE TRUTH!! If the story behind this stolen gun was a BIG Pawn Shop robbery, or a Home Invasion, etc.. You DEF WANT YOUR NAME CLEARED ASAP!!
If you did a deal on ARMSLIST (or a CPU period), be assured that those emails/replies ARE AVAILABLE to Law Enforcement.
DO NOT DOWN-PLAY THE SERIOUSNESS OF BUYING/SELLING A STOLEN FIREARM. It " IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY" to be sure that 1- FIREARM IS NOT STOLEN, and
2 - NO ONE IS A FELON....>>>That was told to me 1st hand by LEO's, and ATF Agents<<<
BEST OF LUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom