• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Upcoming Fall Classes at Protective Measures LLC

do you train in weapons retention? and do you train people on the levels of security in different holsters?

I do like the part of "avoiding range mentality" very crucial....I am asking these questions because I have a cousin that wanted me to help. he is in the armed security transport service and they didn't train him squat...and he lives in the Rome area.

Last edited:
In response to the comment by"Aimless"...

Tom Given's & Bill Roger's are excellent teachers w/ excellent schools. I never said anything disparaging anyone else's school.

I encourage everyone to get the best training that they can afford or have the time to attend.

Several of the students who I've worked with have commented on the fact that they didn't have the budget or time to attend schools that were more expensive or further away.

Before you so blatantly criticize me and lump me & my school into the category of those who give very little content & do more damage than good, perhaps you should talk to the 20 or more O.D.T. members who have attended & graduated... nevermind the over 200 non-O.D.T. people who have also come through in the past year.

Just because my school & I aren't on The Outdoors Channel or featured in S.W.A.T. magazine yet doesn't mean that we aren't very competent & serious about what we do.

I have a lot of money invested in my school (over $18,000 in the range alone) & work very hard to give people more for their money than what they're paying for.

Ask anyone who's trained with us & check or ask them to demonstrate the fundamamentals. of whatever level of training they've completed.

I actually have a class coming up at the end of this month w/ 4 out of 6 being O.D.T. members and a Ladies class after that w/ the 3 of the 6 wives being O.D.T. members.

I have no problem w/ constructive criticism but taking your frustratiom w/ other schools or trainers out on me and assuming that I conduct my business in a similar manner is an unprovoked & unsubstantiated attack on me & my school.

I've spent a good part of the last 3 years of my life helping people (sometimes for as low as $10/hr.) to be more tactically aware, master the fundamentals, learn the laws, & become better shooters

Not cool.

Again, can we get a bio on the instructor cadre? It was a simple meat and taters question. My post was not an attack on you or your school I made that repeatedly clear in my post. I pointed out that cheap and close doesn't sell to everyone me included. I have been to good schools and I have been to bad schools. I am far and away, not frustrated. I pay for time with instructors who know what the hell they are doing, not because a place is close or cheap. If you are an instructor who knows what they are doing then fine. How about a little detail about your creds and the rest of your instructors. Are you P.O.S.T. Certified, ect? I don't know a legitimate school in the country who doesn't post up instructor bios. Who isn't proud of their instructors, they should be. The straw man argument and getting defensive saying how "it is not cool", claiming I am some how attacking you because I am frustrated with other schools is getting off topic I did none of those things. You keep posting up advertising here in an open forum. Guess what? People are going to ask questions.

Last edited:
I am going to ask a little deeper question. Does GA POST recognize any of your training? Do you have any POST Certified Instructors on your team. I am just curious.

Luke

2 of my Instructors are P.O.S.T certified.
The majority of our training is with civilians as most departments have their own Instructor's.

Again, can we get a bio on the instructor cadre? It was a simple meat and taters question. My post was not an attack on you or your school I made that repeatedly clear in my post. I pointed out that cheap and close doesn't sell to everyone me included. I have been to good schools and I have been to bad schools. I am far and away, not frustrated. I pay for time with instructors who know what the hell they are doing, not because a place is close or cheap. If you are an instructor who knows what they are doing then fine. How about a little detail about your creds and the rest of your instructors. Are you P.O.S.T. Certified, ect? I don't know a legitimate school in the country who doesn't post up instructor bios. Who isn't proud of their instructors, they should be. The straw man argument and getting defensive saying how "it is not cool", claiming am some how attacking you because I am frustrated with other schools is getting off topic I did none of those things. You keep posting up advertising here in an open forum. Guess what? People are going to ask questions.

I believe I have only posted three maybe four times in the past year anything about any upcoming classes although we've had them every week.
I also donated a free range day for about 50 O.D.T. members & their families to come & do a pin shoot & donated over $100 in doorprizes on top of that.

If you've trained as much as you say you have (and I have no reason to believe you haven't) at the schools that you have mentioned, you should be able to tell from our class outline that we are addressing all of the same subjects that the better schools do... & quite a few more.

I have been working on getting a website w/ all of the info. on it, i.e. including Instructor bio's, safety/range rules,class details & dates, recquired/recommended gear, map to classroom & range, applications, waivers, etc. but between actually teaching classes every week, attending classes myself, managing my rental properties, and trying to be a not completely inattentive father/husband it has proven to be challenging. I never realized how time consuming it is to get all of the constantly changing info. formatted onto a website... plus how expensive although, it will be worth it once it is done.

My cred's are simple & spartan. I am a N.R.A certified Instructor and a Glock certified Instructor. I have been a serial trainer for over 20 years, consistently shot at the top of the 30+ classes I have taken & completed, and studied (not just read) the books & articles of Jeff Cooper, Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, Jim Cirillo, Marty Hayes, Tiger McKee, and more recently Paul Howe, Scott Reitz, Jeff Gonzales, Jim Smith, Kyle Lamb, etc., etc.

I have been teaching Basic to Advanced classes full-time for the past 3 years, not just in shooting, but also in developing a workable "system" that fits the individual needs of the student coming through the class.
That "system" is comprised of mindset, gun, ammo, holster(s), belt, etc. & it is a little different for almost everyone who comes through.

Some students want to become advanced "operators" or to at least perform at that level, but a much larger group just need help learning & practicing how to use a firearm safely, mastering the fundamentals, getting the "bugs" (flinches, trigger jerking, milking, etc.) out of their shooting, & knowing when legally they can use one, where legally they can carry it, & how to avoid situations where they would need to.

In these past 3 years I've seen every problem imaginable... and I've learned quite a bit from watching the good students as well as the not so good. There's just no substitution for hours & hours on the range working with real live students.

I try to attend at least one outside school per year as a student & read constantly to stay current with proven techniques as well as newer promising ones.

I'll put my firearms skill & knowledge up against any other Instructor out there but after talking & training w/ several I've found that even though the tune may be just a little different, we're all singing the same song.

Whether it be clearing a type 3 malfunction, drawing from a concealment holster, executing an effective reload, scanning for additional threats, using cover/concealment, shooting from reset, etc. fundamentals are fundamentals... slow becomes smooth and smooth becomes fast... under all conditions if it's practiced correctly & often.

Last edited:
"Chief", sorry for the tardy reply, we lost power & I was getting my generator setup.
Yes, we are incorporated & insured (to the tune of $312/month for liability).

Yes, we train weapon retention but if he needs level II or level III retention training my guy who is the head Insructor locally would be the man to work with him as the majority of my classes are taught to civilians from concealment, open carry or from other carry systems other than level II or III.

I'll P.M. you the Instructors name. I've had several want to work w/ us but several aren't as good as they think they are.
Even if you're a good shooter doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher.

This guy that I mentioned is very good... better than me w/
Level II / III holsters.

P.M on the way shortly.

Thank you for responding and putting that out there. For me it makes it much more comfortable to hand over money to someone if I know a little about them and the type of instruction I am getting. I didn't expect an Ex Delta operator and every instructor has to start somewhere. The reasons that I wanted to know and I know other members here wanted to know and were concerned had a lot to do with what is quoted below.

you should be able to tell from our class outline that we are addressing all of the same subjects that the better schools do... & quite a few more.

Your course is ambitious for what really breaks down to around 13 hours of actual instruction. Because I have been to a few other schools it was one of the first things I noticed. You have a crammed course. I would go as so far as to call it tactical cramming and that made me wonder what was the level of the instruction someone would get when you are fitting what is as most schools a three day program into a two day program. That is why I and others were asking the questions we were asking about the staffs creds. I was not meant to be an attack and I certainly do not want to mislabel your school. Please do not misinterpret it that way I just wanted to better understand your "way" if you will. You have done that thank you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom