• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are these pins that come with lower ball joint?

WildMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
102   0
Reaction score
Replaced ball joints before, but not sure what these pins are that come with the motorcraft ball joints.

1687629881464.png

Thanks

Those are rivets. Some ball joints have a plate riveted to the control arm, you have to drill out the rivets, change the ball joint. And rivet the plate back…
Or put bolts back in place of rivets. That would be my preference. As what I did back in the day with a 73 Mach I

Cotter pins used to secure the nuts. You better intall them.

View attachment 5873288

Those are rivets. Some ball joints have a plate riveted to the control arm, you have to drill out the rivets, change the ball joint. And rivet the plate back…

Yeh, my first thought was cotter pin but these ain't those. Looked like rivets but I'll be damned if I remember seeing that last time I looked and honestly just completely let the thought out of my mind. I've pressed ball joints in (even on this car) but haven't started the repairs this time around and am trying to line the process and everything up before I start.

Appreciate it guys.

I'll have to see what's up. Guessing same ball joints used, but maybe certain model years didn't have rivets. Hope that's it. I really don't remember anything of the sort.

Back
Top Bottom