• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What are these pins that come with lower ball joint?

If you have never done one of these before, you maybe should have someone there that has. There are a few little tricks and things you need to know that can save you a bunch of headache !!
Just a suggestion :)
Oh yeh experience is the best teacher. I've done this before and even on this particular vehicle (at least the ball joint part). But I can forget **** (I know you understand that). Sitting here sick and just really trying to get everything lined up as best as possible for when I do start. Appreciate the offer and may end up reaching out about help if need be.

You can get a rivet gun from Harbor Freight for next to nothing. Nuts and bolts and work loose if not done with the proper type. Put it back to factory or OEM standard. Those guns from Harbor Freight won't live up to industrial standard but will be perfectly suited for occasional use. I just would do it that as a way to justify another tool to have but do what you want its your safety at stake.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.htm
4.99 is a small price to pay for the right way. Then you will have one in the event something else arises later down the line. Tools, tools, tools, I like a well stocked tool set. I would only use or buy a Harbor Freight tool if it was something like a very, very low use item. Then there is no problem when you need one. They take different sizes so make sure it will be compatible with your current repair.

You can get a rivet gun from Harbor Freight for next to nothing. Nuts and bolts and work loose if not done with the proper type. Put it back to factory or OEM standard. Those guns from Harbor Freight won't live up to industrial standard but will be perfectly suited for occasional use. I just would do it that as a way to justify another tool to have but do what you want its your safety at stake.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-riveter-set-38353.htm
4.99 is a small price to pay for the right way. Then you will have one in the event something else arises later down the line. Tools, tools, tools, I like a well stocked tool set. I would only use or buy a Harbor Freight tool if it was something like a very, very low use item. Then there is no problem when you need one. They take different sizes so make sure it will be compatible with your current repair.
If that's what requires I absolutely would. Ponied up and bought all motorcraft parts that were available. Fortunately it seems like I don't have a model that's riveted in. Pretty sure I would have remembered that, but like everyone I can forget ****, and had a mild panic seeing the other parts.

If that's what requires I absolutely would. Ponied up and bought all motorcraft parts that were available. Fortunately it seems like I don't have a model that's riveted in. Pretty sure I would have remembered that, but like everyone I can forget ****, and had a mild panic seeing the other parts.
The older I get the quicker I forget and the quantity of **** I forget increases dramatically. Life goes on I guess. 😵‍💫

My 19yo trainee with a '99 Gran Marquis said the rivets are for the dust shields.
Absolutely yes! And thanks. Realized that today as I was finally getting at it. Don't know how I completely forgot all about that pain in the ass pos. Last time I did the joints one of the shields was bent real bad from previous damage so I just roto zipp sawed that ****er in half lol.

Crown Vic and grand marquis have press in lower ball joints. The uppers are bolt in. Unless you get the complete control arm.
Gunanddoglover is correct on the dust shield rivets. I normally remove the whole knuckle when I service those. So, no need to remove the dust shield.

I don't remember what vehicle it was, but I pressed a new ball joint in only to realize it was directional (rotate it to an index mark) AFTER I'd pressed it in. Had to press it out and redo. What a PITA. Other side got a better first-time install though, haha.

Back
Top Bottom