• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have I done...My '76 TA

The pics aren't very exciting, but have been getting some good deliveries from UPS and FedEx. The car is in its first stages of primer, and the blocking begins. We got a new fiberglass rear bumper,since the old urethane one had a lot of checkering and was deformed under the tail lights. Got new interior door panels and weatherstripping ordered, as well as a full stainless exhaust system. Power brake booster is in California being rebuilt and the exhaust manifolds and flanges are being ceramic coated. Moving right along.

Attachments

• 20181228_114713.jpg
    20181228_114713.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20181228_114700.jpg
    20181228_114700.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 82
Went by for a visit today. Progress was going well until the new rear bumper was being fitted to the car. I bought a brand new "custom built" fiberglass bumper from Stinger Fiberglass in Florida. I was impressed by their website and video, about how they carefully make every item to exacting tolerance, blah, blah, blah. As you can see by the second photo, it didn't fit worth a flip. When we called the company, they said we could return it, but I have to eat the shipping both ways. So, for $150.00 dollars, I get the luxury of seeing if their wonderful "Made in the U.S.A." bumper will work. Well, my car guy went to work and made it fit. He had to grind one end to the point that there was a hole that has to be repaired, and the other end had to be cut and bent around and rebuilt. I guess I know who NOT to do business with any more.
But, overall, it is looking good. Should be ready for paint in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• 20190103_103905.jpg
    20190103_103905.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190103_102136.jpg
    20190103_102136.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190103_113431.jpg
    20190103_113431.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 64
If you're gonna drive it, definitely put a kill switch on it. We put them on all our old Fords. Cheap and easy. Even if all it does is slow them down. Then you can sneak up and shoot 'em.

I can also vouch that restoring to 95%+ condition will make you paranoid. We restored my F100 almost 20 years ago and I was afraid to use it as a truck the first 5 years. And its not worth anywhere near what that firebird will be worth.

For you guys that have antique/classic cars, who is the best company to insure with? Right now I have a stated value policy with State Farm, but I'm sure their price will go through the roof when the car is done.

There’s several
Grundy
And
Hagarty
Are the two biggest

I actually drive both of my old cars a lot
And have no garage and a teen driver at home

None of those three are allowed for classic car insurance

So I just have regular insurance with full coverage and I had an appraisal and sent it to em

And a hidden kill switch

Mine are micro switches I line with the starter so you have to turn the key and hit the hidden switch

And you can hide a tiny push button switch under the carpet or under the edge of seat upholstery or lots of other places where even a passenger in the car won’t see you hit it

Looking at the AC system, it appears to be a costly endeavor to get it operating again. Does anybody have experience with the Original Air Group out of Tampa, Florida. They make an entire replacement system that operates like a modern system. They don't rob the horsepower near as bad also. Looks like about $1100.00 to update, and it will be on 134A instead of R12. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom