• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.
To many call of duty players and Larpers. Just like people love getting good TIGHT haha groups. Back when we were told to fire on target it was a human silhouette target. If you can hit the human target there pretty much done .

If it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy then do it. Just quit talking down on folks that dont care.
THIS!!! I love shooting long range and I'm proud of the limited ability I have at doing it, but I hate the elitist attitude that some long range shooters have. It's very off-putting to people that are interested in getting into it and I'm all about welcoming new people into the sport.

To many call of duty players and Larpers. Just like people love getting good TIGHT haha groups. Back when we were told to fire on target it was a human silhouette target. If you can hit the human target there pretty much done .
I'm also not a big fan of folks that obviously don't understand the attraction of long range shooting, but don't hesitate to put down those that enjoy it.

I'm also not a big fan of folks that obviously don't understand the attraction of long range shooting, but don't hesitate to put down those that enjoy it.
I don’t never put nobody “Down” for doing what they enjoy doing. You enjoy it keep doing it don’t bother me none.

Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.

I agree. But I get shooting 1000 yds is just the sheer fun of knowing you can do it. What's hilarious is those people are shooting steel targets almost the size of a car. It's ridiculous. Try a man sized target, that's MUCH more difficult.

Furthest engagement I had in Iraq was about 200 yds; usually under 50 yds. I made a shot in Afghan a bit over 800 yds. Some Durkas were lobbing mortars and RPK fire at us from cover near a building and we couldn't close the distance.

Back
Top Bottom