• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

I have watched some videos recently of the ELR guys (2 miles) which is crazy and fascinating. Im not going spend 7K or whatever those rifle/scope combos cost but Id try it if I was invited to go.
You get to the king of two miles, and then 3 miles, and stuff gets crazy expensive. Everything from the rifle, ammo, scope mounts etc multiply in cost

I’ve got “mediocre” glass on my rimfire and I for sure need to upgrade it… got to have good stuff, not junk.
Everything looks good with the right lighting, bright targets and no stressors. Things change quickly when trying to find shot up, small targets in varying light conditions with high input backdrops and under the clock.

You get to the king of two miles, and then 3 miles, and stuff gets crazy expensive. Everything from the rifle, ammo, scope mounts etc multiply in cost
I dont think they even have a range here in Georgia capable of those distances. The vid I watched was out in Montana or Arizona? like on some baron,tumble weed farm that was empty to the horizon.

I like the challenge and the math. Learning to shoot at distance forces gaining a ton of knowledge its difficult to get any other way. When you know your rifle and ammunition well enough to ring steel reliably at distance making those 300-600 yard shots with confidence is almost a no brainer. I also like how shooting at distance forces good fundamentals. You aren't making distance shots without a good cheekweld, trigger squeeze, etc. With practice those become instinctual and follow you to improve your shooting in all other shooting disciplines. And it's fun. Plus, "you can then larp around your moms basement in a ghillie with your sniper gear to distract you from your lack of girlfriend woes" -Garandthumb probably.

I dont think they even have a range here in Georgia capable of those distances. The vid I watched was out in Montana or Arizona? like on some baron,tumble weed farm that was empty to the horizon.
There isn't. The truly elr stuff is pretty much all out west. Too many mountains, trees and hills out on the east coast for the most part. Arena in Blakely has the longest range that I'm aware of in GA, and they have 2500 iirc. I don't have a rifle capable of that, so i haven't pushed out past a mile there.

Everything looks good with the right lighting, bright targets and no stressors. Things change quickly when trying to find shot up, small targets in varying light conditions with high input backdrops and under the clock.
I 100% agree with that.

The arena in blakely, can you go pay and shoot or do you have to be a member?

I 100% agree with that.

The arena in blakely, can you go pay and shoot or do you have to be a member?
You have to find a weekend where they are open or go shoot a match. They rent the place out for military training a lot as well. Gert van Rooyen Gert van Rooyen has a thread where he rented out the elr range and has opened it up for other members. You just need to chip in on the cost.

Back
Top Bottom