• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

You have to find a weekend where they are open or go shoot a match. They rent the place out for military training a lot as well. @Gert van Rooyen has a thread where he rented out the elr range and has opened it up for other members. You just need to chip in on the cost.
I may have to pitch in… I saw the thread and didn’t read much on it.

There isn't. The truly elr stuff is pretty much all out west. Too many mountains, trees and hills out on the east coast for the most part. Arena in Blakely has the longest range that I'm aware of in GA, and they have 2500 iirc. I don't have a rifle capable of that, so i haven't pushed out past a mile there.

You have a 6.5 CM don’t you?!?

I have watched some videos recently of the ELR guys (2 miles) which is crazy and fascinating. Im not going spend 7K or whatever those rifle/scope combos cost but Id try it if I was invited to go.
You can do a lot with a lot less expensive equipment. It's not unreasonable to shoot 1000 yards with a typical bolt action deer rifle and scope. Some of them might need slightly heavy for caliber bullets, but that's about it.

THIS!!! I love shooting long range and I'm proud of the limited ability I have at doing it, but I hate the elitist attitude that some long range shooters have. It's very off-putting to people that are interested in getting into it and I'm all about welcoming new people into the sport.
angry adam sandler

You can do a lot with a lot less expensive equipment. It's not unreasonable to shoot 1000 yards with a typical bolt action deer rifle and scope. Some of them might need slightly heavy for caliber bullets, but that's about it.

I really like this video to prove your point. Granted he does have an $1800 scope on it. But it’s still a $900 factory rifle.

You have a 6.5 CM don’t you?!?
Yeah. I'm good to 1450 - 1500 ish with 6.5 cm. Consistently at least. I can hit at 1760, but would not call it consistent with wind. He'll, even picking up on hits and misses with a 6.5 cm at a mile is a challenge. Then you typically throw mirage into the equation and that gets even more questionable. Really needing to get into that mid-action magnum range at a mile for consistency. 300 Norma, 300 prc, etc.

If you are only hitting a certain target at a certain with 20% effectiveness, those hits have more luck than skill involved.

Not everything is about hunting. Long range sports shooting can be fun, especially if you build or tinker on rifles. You get to test equipment and skill. Some guys may LARP like they're snipers, and I see nothing wrong with that as long as they're safe. If your ego is tied to what others do and they aren't appropriating titles they didn't earn, I'd say you're wasting your energy.

I think this is like saying 2 and 3 gun competitors are trying to be SF door kickers. Its a facet of sports shooting or skill shooting (whatever you want to call it). For as long as rifles have been a thing, folks have been wanting to crank that long shot off. And part of American gun culture is the rifleman and extending accurate fire to its limits.

Add; shooting at game at those distances can be dubious. Maybe some guys can pull it off, but it requires lots of money and time to get there. We don't see those distances in georgia.

What's upsetting you?

Back
Top Bottom