• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's everyones fascination with shooting at 1000+yards?

I haven't shot past about 300 yards but have always wanted to push it farther. I'm pretty comfortable with shooting 300 yards irons or optics. Ever since I started reloading, got better mounts and optics I've noticed better groupings and more "boring" range trips. Hope to start stretching out farther soon.

Oh wait I know......

People watch too many movies. The odds of ever taking a shoot over three hundred yards for anyone is pretty slim and yes I have made 1000 yard shots with iron sights on a machine gun in training but never have I made or attempted a 1000+ yard shot in a real world situation. Why? because it is a waste of ammo. Wait until the target gets closer. And If you are attempting 1000+ yard shots on game/wildlife you are an asshole who is going to wound or injure game.

My rant for today.

My largest whitetail was taken in Kansas at 372 yards...ranged with my Leica. Out west there are places where you CAN'T get closer than 350 to 500 yds without spooking the game. I crawled 200 yds to get to my spot. I set up with my shooting sticks and was perfectly comfortable and confident in taking a shot from 450 yards in....because I had practiced at even longer distances with my set-up.

Having said that, I agree that hunters taking shots at 1000 yds are unethical. Too many factors....especially wind...make those shots risky.

For me it is a challenge with a bolt gun. I would NEVER try to shoot a game animal at that distance. I have shot .50 bmg 1000 yards in the Army Reserves. 200 rounds per qualifying trip. I LOVED those range trips. I begged for more ammo. lol

You can never rely on the cutting edge of your skill. Having the skills to hitting at 1000 yards or more makes 500 and 600 yards shots a lot easier.

As for taking game at a 1000 yards, I guess I'm a potential asshole. I haven't had opportunity for a shot like that... yet, but if I did and all the conditions were right, I would take the shot. If I decided to pull the trigger I can guarantee I would have a much better chance at a humane kill than most folks that shoot at deer with a bow at 30 yards. How do you feel about all the folks that shoot at prairie dogs at 300 yards?

Back
Top Bottom