• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When does energy turn into matter?

Because nothing existed before the big bang because there was no time or space for it to exist in. The big bang happened 13.7 billion years ago so even light itself could not have traveled more than 13.7 billion light years. (although I guess as space itself expands the light has to travel farther in proportion?)

And really? I thought that the universe came from a point of infinite density and zero volume which is the very definition of a singularity?

So you're saying that as the universe expands the matter within it is getting closer to matter in another dimension and the gravitational force is getting stronger? Ok, I can follow that. Interesting idea.

Just a guess based on not much more than wondering how it might work.

You are super wrong, but don't feel bad, most people are when it comes to this.
The ability to turn energy into matter and matter into energy does not exist and that is not what E=mc2 means. It is a very common misconception. The real implication of this theory is that anytime you gain energy, you gain mass. Anytime you lose energy, you lose mass. One is not converted to the other. When using the sun as an example, the hydrogen fusion reaction causes a massive amount of energy to be released, but another way to say it is that the newly formed helium atom has less energy than the sum of the two hydrogens before it. It has lost so much energy (since it was released in the reaction) that its corresponding drop in mass is measureable. This is the source of the "matter into energy" misconception. The helium does have less mass than the two hydrogen atoms before, but that is because it lost energy and therefore lost mass at a rate proportional to E=mc2.

The reverse can also be seen in nature. A bullet fired out of a gun will have an infinitesimally larger mass than it had when it was just sitting there. Where did this mass come from? from the kinetic energy that was put into the bullet by the expanding gasses doing work on it. The bullet now has more energy, so it has more mass. Again, according to E=mc2 an absolutely enormous amount of energy is needed to gain just a tiny amount of mass.

How much energy? Well, think of like this. In order for a bullet to gain just 10% mass due to its increased velocity (and therefore increased internal energy), it would need to be going about 50% of the speed of light. That's about 450,000,000 fps!

No, a double charge of "power pistol" will not get you there.

Yes, this means that a hot rock weighs more than a cold one of identical starting mass. Yes, it means that one of those disposable cold packs weighs more after you use it that it did before you used it (since it gains energy by absorbing heat which is why it feels cold), it means anything that has more energy weighs more that an identical thing that has less energy.

Hope this helps!

Why do hydrogen atoms turn into heavier elements inside stars then? Shouldn't stars be taking lead/gold/iron/etc... and turning them into hydrogen instead of the other way around?

Why do hydrogen atoms turn into heavier elements inside stars then? Shouldn't stars be taking lead/gold/iron/etc... and turning them into hydrogen instead of the other way around?

Why would they? Entropy doesn't require that the universe go from more energy to less energy or the other way around. It only requires that the universe go from disorder to order. Its not a conscious act. The nuclear reactions happen as a function of the conditions being correct for them to happen.

due to the small size of the hydrogen, its easier to overcome the electromagnetic repulsion and get them close enough for the strong force to fuse them. By easier I mean it can happen at lower temperatures and pressures. the bigger they get the more extreme the conditions required for fusion to continue. This is accomplished by gravity constantly trying to crush the center of the sun. Energy is constantly lost and therefore mass as well, but what remains becomes increasingly dense and concentrated.

Why would they? Entropy doesn't require that the universe go from more energy to less energy or the other way around. It only requires that the universe go from disorder to order. Its not a conscious act. The nuclear reactions happen as a function of the conditions being correct for them to happen.

due to the small size of the hydrogen, its easier to overcome the electromagnetic repulsion and get them close enough for the strong force to fuse them. By easier I mean it can happen at lower temperatures and pressures. the bigger they get the more extreme the conditions required for fusion to continue. This is accomplished by gravity constantly trying to crush the center of the sun. Energy is constantly lost and therefore mass as well, but what remains becomes increasingly dense and concentrated.

Ok thats another question I have always struggled with. What is strong force/weak force and is there any way to tie this to something that I can relate to? I understand electromagnetism and gravity but where do the other two forces come from?

For the same reason lazy scum bags feast of the fruits of our labor. Bc they're lazy and nobody makes them work. A motionless mass acts like a magnet attracting more material/matter that's no longer in motion or consisting of energy

Last edited:
Guys I hate lazy people just as much as y'all do but please keep this civil. I had to petition the mods to have this thread moved back out of the tin foil hat section and we're on thin ice here.

Lets keep the discussion going though, I feel like I can learn something here!

In theory, to create matter from energy, you would need to speed up particles of energy to roughly the speed of light. By crashing particles of energy into each, you would create new particles which would differ in size and weight from the original pair that collided. Smaller particles created as a result of the collision would have a shorter life and return to a state of matter faster than those of larger size. Obviously there are other factors which must remain constant such as charge, antiparticles etc.,

In theory, to create matter from energy, you would need to speed up particles of energy to roughly the speed of light. By crashing particles of energy into each, you would create new particles which would differ in size and weight from the original pair that collided. Smaller particles created as a result of the collision would have a shorter life and return to a state of matter faster than those of larger size. Obviously there are other factors which must remain constant such as charge, antiparticles etc.,

So is there any way that we could create matter in a super collider? I mean even if it took thousands of watts to create a few subatomic particles think of the implications it could have.

Back
Top Bottom