• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

When does energy turn into matter?

Because nothing existed before the big bang because there was no time or space for it to exist in. The big bang happened 13.7 billion years ago so even light itself could not have traveled more than 13.7 billion light years. (although I guess as space itself expands the light has to travel farther in proportion?)

And really? I thought that the universe came from a point of infinite density and zero volume which is the very definition of a singularity?

So you're saying that as the universe expands the matter within it is getting closer to matter in another dimension and the gravitational force is getting stronger? Ok, I can follow that. Interesting idea.

http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/seuforum/faq.htm

the major schools of thought disagree with your position. the current position is 15 billion years (if you believe that figure), there is no definitive edge, everything was there just in a different form (nothing cannot create everything), and there is no singular point of beginning.

im not going to get into spiritual topics in your thread but current positioning seems to be something caused everything to come into being at once and it is expanding and changing, which I agree with. :D

The big bang doesn't mean everything came from one central point in space and expanded outward but that everything came into being at once.

Last edited:
Ok thats another question I have always struggled with. What is strong force/weak force and is there any way to tie this to something that I can relate to? I understand electromagnetism and gravity but where do the other two forces come from?

Well there are only four fundamental forces and if you get gravity and EM that only leaves strong and weak. Naturally its very complicated, getting into quarks and higgs bosons and fermions and all that, but at its most basic is this. A neutron is really a proton with an electron crammed into it. it makes sense when you think about it, the positive proton and the negative electron cancel each other out and you get a neutral charge, and since the electron is essentially massless the proton and the neutron weight the same. Well, the weak force tries to pop the electron OUT of the neutron and turn it into a proton in the process. This is called beta decay. it comes in lots of types but that's the most common. But weak force causes a lot of nuclear reactions.
Strong force is even weirder but basically it causes the atoms to not tear themselves apart. There are only protons and neutrons in the nucleus, all those positively charged protons so close together should electromagnetically repel each other and cause the nucleus to fly apart. its the strong force that prevents that.

as for where the forces come from that is a seriously involved question. weak force exists because subatomic particles have a property called spin, and strong force exists because some subatomic particles have a property called colour, in the same way that electromagnetism exists because some particles have a property called charge and gravity exists because some particles have a property called mass.

I'm pretty sure I just turned energy into matter right here at work and now its on its way to the flint river....

Well there are only four fundamental forces and if you get gravity and EM that only leaves strong and weak. Naturally its very complicated, getting into quarks and higgs bosons and fermions and all that, but at its most basic is this. A neutron is really a proton with an electron crammed into it. it makes sense when you think about it, the positive proton and the negative electron cancel each other out and you get a neutral charge, and since the electron is essentially massless the proton and the neutron weight the same. Well, the weak force tries to pop the electron OUT of the neutron and turn it into a proton in the process. This is called beta decay. it comes in lots of types but that's the most common. But weak force causes a lot of nuclear reactions.
Strong force is even weirder but basically it causes the atoms to not tear themselves apart. There are only protons and neutrons in the nucleus, all those positively charged protons so close together should electromagnetically repel each other and cause the nucleus to fly apart. its the strong force that prevents that.

as for where the forces come from that is a seriously involved question. weak force exists because subatomic particles have a property called spin, and strong force exists because some subatomic particles have a property called colour, in the same way that electromagnetism exists because some particles have a property called charge and gravity exists because some particles have a property called mass.

Ok I can kinda follow that but do those forces ever come into play at the macroscopic level? We all know how magnets attract and gravity pulls but how can we see strong force/weak force? (and yeah I know gravity doesn't really pull but anything with mass distorts the fabric of space which pushes back)

I've never heard that.

Neither had I and it doesn't really make sense to me. If the universe expands in all directions as time goes on, then turning back time to the beginning should see the universe collapse back to a single point.

Back
Top Bottom