• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Who Remembers???

Gas wars in Atlanta, early 70’s, 24.9 cents.
Just saw yesterday $2.84.9 at our neighborhood Friendly station.

edit to add: 1959, Richmond, Va. Cigarettes 16-21 cents per pack.

I remember the cheap gas prices, the pumps with no card readers and attendants who pumped the gas, cleaned the windshield and checked the oil
Back in the early 70's, I was one of those guys. Always took longer to clean the windshield when the skirts were short. ;)
I remember the cheap gas prices, the pumps with no card readers and attendants who pumped the gas, cleaned the windshield and checked the oil

I remember 19 cents a gallon for regular and 21 cents for high test. I remember all the old folks saying “when it’s over 50 cents a gallon for regular I’m just gonna stop driving”. Smokes were 25 cents out of the machine. Those prices were over 55 years ago. That being said, I remember $1.67 a gallon for regular just over 2 years ago. That’s just crazy that a political party could **** this country up that much in just 2 years. Unfrigging believable!!!!!!!
It all goes back to the very first day of this presidency and that one EO that killed the Keystone pipeline which among the completed sections was delivering 1 million barrels of oil each day. That was roughly half of our total daily input to refineries. That is the primary reason for high diesel prices and as you are aware, diesel trucks deliver groceries and consumer goods to stores, gasoline and diesel to stations, mail to post offices, heating oil for homes, and diesel for agricultural, construction, and manufacturing purposes. And ahead of the trucks, railroads use tremendous quantities of diesel to move raw materials to manufacturers and finished consumer goods to warehouses. And not to forget that petrochemicals from the refining process are necessary for making plastics, and polymers, especially those used for automotive purposes like these new electric vehicles and all sorts of additives to just about everything that we use or consume. All wind and solar manufacturing are dependent upon fossil fuels. I don't believe that the leadership really understood the total ramifications of that EO and how far-reaching it really is. Most of this inflation traces back to this EO.

I remember working for Crown gas station when I was 14yo…. Pumping gas, checking oil, wash windshield, etc.
There was no “self service”. It was all full service. We had to check air in all the tires too, along with the spare if they asked!
The credit cards were run on one of those things you stuck the carbon and paper in and card then run it back and forth over it so it imprinted the name and number on it ! LOL. (There wasn’t any way to dial in and check to see if it was good or not)
Good times - (my ass !)

17 cents a gallon to fill my 1958 Austin Healy Sprite
10525996_869092053106613_1055493144774353619_n.jpg
in 1960 and a full set of dishes if you filled up the entire tank, damn, I miss those days :doh:

Back
Top Bottom