• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why carry an expensive CCW?

OP, you stated you may be looking for a wheel gun in .44 special. Great idea. I carried one for years. If you want something small and packs a punch, Ruger's LCR in .357 is a thought, S&W M642 shoots +Ps and that is a good round. Taurus, Rossi, Charter, Ruger. S&W and others make some very good .44 special revolvers, many of them are "lightweight" models which are great to carry. Like you stated, why carry an expensive piece. My carry piece is shot little but carried often.

I carry what I'm physically and financially comfortable with. While it may end up being confiscated someday, I ain't going to worry about what may happen to the firearm if I'm forced to use one.

If it someday saves my family or my own fat ass, it's done its job. Beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it.

I AGREE with EVERYTHING you said...I just do NOT wanna' be WITHOUT a "Roscoe", should I NEED one!....mikey357

I carry what I'm physically and financially comfortable with. While it may end up being confiscated someday, I ain't going to worry about what may happen to the firearm if I'm forced to use one.

If it someday saves my family or my own fat ass, it's done its job. Beyond that, I'm not going to worry about it.

Exactly. All you've got to lose is the value of your carry piece and that is completely a subjective risk.

While I certainly understand the Rationale of carrying the BEST Handgun you can AFFORD, I'll throw one OTHER thing "Out There"...Let's assume I have $1,500 to spend on a CC Piece, and go out & buy a Les Baer TR...

Good gun, likely to "Keep Me Safe" used correctly, of course...Now, let's say I hafta' USE IT and, for whatever reason, said Gun ends up being "Confiscated"...I've "Shot The Load" on my Les Baer, and now have NOTHING to Carry/Use for HD...OR...

INSTEAD OF spending the $1,500 on the LB, I buy TWO Glock 19's, or--pick your poison--and "Invest" the rest in Leather Gear, Ammo & Training...IF my "Number One" G-19--or whatever--gets CONFISCATED, I STILL HAVE G-19 #2 for CC & HD...Sounds like a PLAN to me...YMMV, of course....mikey357

This is what I am thinking. And if you are a prepper then you have a spare for parts or backup.

I carry an XD9c and an M&P9c because they're as close to "perfection" as you'll get in a striker fired pistol. My wife carries the Ruger LCR 38.

my Main Carry is a Taurus 24/7 Pro DS C in .45acp, My Glock 23 or a Taurus 709 slim, then sometimes the Ruger LCP , All depends on what i am wearing and what mood i am in that day , But none of them are High Priced . My 24/7 is prolly my go to gun though . Love my .45 LOL

If gun breaks your bank and you cannot afford another if you lose it, then you cannot afford that gun.I could care less about losing the gun if it saves mine or another's life. It did its job and that's what I paid for. As for the confiscation for two years? Not unless your new name is "SUSPECT" As a self defense issue there is no need for the police to have the weapon any longer than is nessesary to test the gun and be sure it is the exact gun used. If any longer may be a word from your lawyer, to the head of the agency, is in order. Say the gun cost a lot and now you cannot afford the lawyer? Then you cannot afford the gun.

Last edited:
So that was pretty much always my perspective. I have nice guns but I wouldn't ever use them as primary carry guns. Think about it this way. If, by some ridiculous stroke of bad luck, you ever do have to use it to defend your self and are forced to shoot someone that gun is going to end up in an evidence lockup and you have no idea when or if you'll ever see it again. Do you want them to take a $400-$500 glock or usp compact or do you want them to take your nice P229 scorpion or colt rail gun or something?

Back
Top Bottom