• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why carry an expensive CCW?

Can we please refrain from the "my family doesn't come with a price tag so neither should my carry weapon" rhetoric, please? Implying that you somehow love your family more and are more able to defend them because you carry a $2800 pistol is the middle aged equivalent of "mine is bigger than yours."

not sure who you're referring to but I'm guessing me as it was posted after my post. I don't have the wealth to go out and buy 3k$ pistols and try to brag about it (have you seen my listings?) What is meant (by me anyways) is that when it comes to something used to protect my family, within reason I spare no expense. It doesn't mean I throw down 1000$ on an fnp 45 tactical or 3k$ on a nighthawk. It means when all I have is 250 to spend, I go out and buy the best gun for that 250, say a ruger p series or old all steel Smith and Wesson. If all I have is 350, ill hunt down a beat up police trade in glock, take it to smyrna and shoot the piss out of it, same with a 450 budget. I don't feel like I have to have a sig. or hk to protect my family, but like I said, with the value I place in my family, I can't let cost dictate a decision making process. I have to trust whatever gun without a shadow of a doubt, and while a glock can be had for 350-425 easily, I trust their firearms with my life, same with the classic rugers and smiths. Once you start pushing past 550 for a ccw, its kinda senseless, especially considering the abuse you're going to put your gun through. Who knows, my glock might only be worth 350$, but the 300 rounds I've fed it have been flawless and accurate. I've had deer blood drip down it, dirt and crud get into the slide when playing in a leaf pile while doing a oil yard work w the kids and it ain't hurt the gun at all. That's what I look for, not the pricetag. I don't need the eliteness that comes with owning a sig or hk, or the milled slide and threaded barrel of a fnp 45, etc, I need a pistol that's going to be reliable for whatever it gets put through, and willing to spend whatever I have to to get it, but luckily, glocks can be had on the cheap, so I'm not scared to have it taken as evidence, ill go buy another when funds allow

Lots of members on this board. Has anyone had their gun confiscated? Been in a shooting? Just curious.

I "accessorize" with a Colt Commander. I exercise, eat healthy, wear a seat belt, don't smoke. That helps keep me and my family out of harms way.
"
Never had a gun "confiscated" but have had one taken in as evidence and that is what changed my mind about the price point of the weapon I carry.

Like rOmiLaYu, while I've not been involved in a SD Shooting, I HAVE HAD a Handgun "Entered Into Evidence" by the Police...Got it back in about a MONTH, but was QUITE UNEASY in the INTERIM...FWIW....mikey357

I had a gun that was taken for "safe keeping" that took me almost a year to get back. My cousin planted a crack head in Tucson Arizona a few years back and he had his Kimber Pro Carry back in under 72 hours. Guess it all depends on the department.

Like rOmiLaYu, while I've not been involved in a SD Shooting, I HAVE HAD a Handgun "Entered Into Evidence" by the Police...Got it back in about a MONTH, but was QUITE UNEASY in the INTERIM...FWIW....mikey357

The real kicker is that it was returned with an idiot mark that was not there when entered into evidence....it also had extensive copper fouling that was not present at time of aquisition. Never again....

- - - Updated - - -

I had a gun that was taken for "safe keeping" that took me almost a year to get back. My cousin planted a crack head in Tucson Arizona a few years back and he had his Kimber Pro Carry back in under 72 hours. Guess it all depends on the department.

Probably very true.

Back
Top Bottom