• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why does everyone want PMAGS? They suck!!!

very true, especially anything mechanical. I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong. We all know when it comes to shooting it's all about shooter preference and what works for that person. I have been curious about the craze over these mags and I guess I got my answer.

I've gotten some interesting views since starting this thread. I'm sure some of you are quite pleased with your PMAGS and I'll admit they look cool in an AR. I can say with certainty they don't have the ruggedness of a Colt mag when it comes to daily abuse. It just blows mt mind how much everyone is paying for PMAGS when if there ever comes a time when you need them most they might fail you.

I prefer the Colts as well and have many. But I will use the pmags If I have no other choice. I doubt I will ever have more than three pmags.

I have enough AR mags for now, even though I consider them a consumable part (they do wear out and need to be replaced over time) so I'm not paying the 'buy it before the ban' prices, but I have only heard of Pmags failing a few years back, and those were the FDE color ones for some reason.
When people like Kevin Boland, the Director of Military Operations for Knights Armament, used only Pmags in Afghanistan over multiple tours and has nothing bad to say about them I feel pretty comfortable keeping mine loaded here in Clayton County.

war time operations are different than range time operations. Pmags were never cleared for war time use, yet many units use them.

Thats not quite true, Pmags were allowed for use, and have a NSN. But there was a order awhile back saying they were no longer authorized for use in combat. I'm not a huge fan of them, I like the USGI mags. I've seen Pmags fail under a hard training session (usally Dbl feed.) But to each his own.

pmags were never cleared (people may of looked the other way but they were never approved for military use. units self purchased them). I can make a nsn for a toilet seat, doesnt mean its approved for miltary use. first Magpul issued a warning, then the army banned them

User Actions: TM 9-1005-319-10, the Additional Authorized List (AAL),
states that NSN 1005-00-921-5004 is authorized, as well as NSN
1005-00-561-7200. Units may use the older magazine NSN 1005-00-921-5004
with the green follower until exhausted. The improved magazine is available
in stock, NSN 1005-00-561-7200, and has a tan follower. The improved
magazine features an improved follower and follower spring. These new
features help to reduce the risk of magazine-related stoppages. Units are
only authorized to use the Army authorized magazines listed in the technical
manuals. Remember; "tan-is the plan, green-start to lean, black-take it
back." Magazines with the black follower are the oldest and should be turned
in to your unit supply sergeant or local supply point.[/QUOTE...

Back
Top Bottom