• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why is everyone ditching the .40 cal

I think a lot of folks begin their handgun quest with .40s - not sure why but they do. Sigma .40s and Taurus .40s seem to be the first pistol of choice for many folks. After spending time with the .40s, many folks realize 9mm is cheaper to shoot and less snappy so they unload the .40s. I have a pair of .40s myself, both Sigs, and they shoot well. Never cared for .40 much in the lightweight poly guns...

I always Loved my g-23 but I went all 9mm do to ammo price but very tempted to get another 23. I would love to start reloading my own ammo.

People are realizing the smidge of extra performance isn't worth the capacity penalty, higher cost of ammo and increased recoil.

This. Commercially available 40 loads offer nothing that 9mm loads can't replicate. Most HPs on the market have similar maximum expansion, even when the recovered expansion diameter is less. In fact, many 9mm hollowpoints have slightly larger maximum expansions due to the conical shape

I think a lot of people also start with 40 out of ignorance. I did. I found I prefered the recoil of a 45 or 9mm later on. After doing some research of my own, I realized there isn't a big difference.

I have a single .40S&W in the collection, an M&P40 fullsize. I had bought one when they came out back in 2007 and found it to be a pleasure to shoot. Well the trade bug bit and that gun moved on. So when I caught a deal on a XD40 for less than $300, I bought back into .40S&W. The XD and I didn't get along so great, so I moved it for a new M&P40 fullsize. The M&P is a soft shooter and I know there's always ammo on the shelves.

I didnt realize that people were getting away from .40sw. My primary home defense weapon is my Glock 22 and it has been for years. A pistol should only be used to fight your way to your rifle anyway.

I didnt realize that people were getting away from .40sw. My primary home defense weapon is my Glock 22 and it has been for years. A pistol should only be used to fight your way to your rifle anyway.

Just wondering, if you believe that statement, why is your primary home defense weapon a pistol?

A pistol should only be used to fight your way to your rifle anyway.

Why do people always say this? Is there data to back up this statement or is it just a line people used to rile other people up, like the whole .45 is a better round BS.

If something goes bump in the night I grab my 229 (in .40 thank you very much) and see whats up.

If you have to fight your way to anything that means you weren't prepared in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom