• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You never know when that old rifle will show up again

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I got a phone call from a police station yesterday. Seems a rifle I bought in 2002 was recently used in a murder and was traced back to me. How did they trace it back to me? I believe it was a gun show purchase and I probably bought it after an NCIC instacheck and evidently they keep track of what you are buying when they run the check. Everything since then was bought using my CCW and filling out the 4473 (right form number?) and I don't believe that information is entered anywhere.

Office was pretty nice, wanted to know what happened to it and I told him it was probably part of the 46 rifles that DFACS took from my nephew (I was storing stuff at his dads house and when his dad died he took the stuff I had and all his dads stuff and when he got in trouble with DFACS for having a loaded gun in the house with laying around with 2 little children there and two felons living there, they had a search warrant, arrested everyone and took all the guns. Part of the plea deal to get them to drop most of the charges was that the Madison (oops should I say their name) County police department kept all the guns. I'm sure none of them got taken home and are all sitting in the evidence locker (right). Anyway, that's what I told the officer, he talked to my nephew and that's what he told them so who knows.

Anyway, I asked if I could have the rifle back after the trail (they have the shooter) and he asked if I really wanted a rifle that had been used in a murder and I told him that I'd like to have it, take my bandsaw and cut the barrel into 2 inch pieces, use my torch on the action and the litter the Chattahoochee River with the bits rather than think it might come out of the evidence room at some future date and be used in another crime.

So, bottom line, they say their is no gun registration but there are guns registered when you buy them, guessing through the NCIC checks.

You never know when one is going to pop its head up again. In my life I have probably bought, sold and traded 250 or 300 firearms. Do I feel responsible for what happens to them after they are out of my hands? No more so than when I sell a knife, a chainsaw or a car. I have no control over what the buyer does with it, keeps it, uses it, sells it or loses it.

End of not so much a vent as an observation.
Klif

If you bought it from a dealer, then there is a record of the transaction, no matter if it went through NCIC or using your CCW. As long as you filed out a 4473, there is record. Police contact the manufacture to see what distributor it was sent to, they contact the distributor to see what FFL dealer it was sent to, they then contact the FFL dealer to see who they transferred it to and then to you.

gun registration and a 4473 when you buy a gun from a dealer are two different things. you were just the last one on the paper trail, that's why they contacted you about it. NCIC check is just your background check to see if you are legally able to own a gun, nothing to do with recording what gun you are buying (or even that you are buying one).

If you bought it from a dealer, then there is a record of the transaction, no matter if it went through NCIC or using your CCW. As long as you filed out a 4473, there is record. Police contact the manufacture to see what distributor it was sent to, they contact the distributor to see what FFL dealer it was sent to, they then contact the FFL dealer to see who they transferred it to and then to you.

Thank you, I was not aware of that. I thought the 4473's were just filled out and held at the store. Learn something new every day. What about when you buy a used gun from a store? There is no way the manufacturer would know who has a pre World War II S&W pistol or is there a way?

Do you really think they dont know who we are and what we do? Even when its all legal. They know or they will find out.

Funny part of the whole thing was that I have moved and gotten rid of all my landlines but they some how knew I had a married daughter and they called her in California asking for a number here so she gave them my cell phone, I gave them my sisters number and they called her and she gave them my nephews number. He was sweating until I talked to him and told him he had done nothing wrong, they were just trying to track the life of the weapon. Truth be known I have no idea what I bought in 2002 except the policeman said it was an assault rifle and in 2002 SKS's, AK47s, French 49/56 (maybe wrong numbers) were cheap and plentiful and it wasn't unusual to buy 5 of them for 500 or 600 dollars. They made nice wall hangers and I enjoyed cleaning out the old cosmolene.

Actually if you ask me to name off all the guns I have now I'd be hard pressed. I recently moved and in cleaning out the gun room I ran across boxed rifles from AIM surplus that I bought in the early 2000s that I never even opened. Almost like Christmas except I taped the boxes back up, put them in my new secure room and will open them again when I retire and have time to spend with them. And I bet I'm not the only one that has a hoard like that.

Thank you, I was not aware of that. I thought the 4473's were just filled out and held at the store. Learn something new every day. What about when you buy a used gun from a store? There is no way the manufacturer would know who has a pre World War II S&W pistol or is there a way?
Buying a used gun from a store, as long as you filed out a 4473, then there is record of it. That form stays with the store for x number of years or if the store closes up, then all 4473's in possession of the store are sent to the BATFE. As far as tracing an old weapon like the WWII pistol, it would be very difficult, unless somehow it was made known to BATFE earlier.

When I was an LEO I was in charge of evidence. I ran an ATF trace on every weapon we recovered whether it was stolen or not. I generally tried to locate the original purchaser and see if it was stolen and not reported etc. That trace went through an ATF facility in Virginia. It normally told me the original store it was shipped to and the first owner. If it went through a 4473 transaction, then it would show that as well, but if it was face to face like on here or non-4473 then the trail would end unless the person who sold it know the person's name.

Always found it funny that even though they aren't registered, they sure know a lot about them. Taking off my tinfoil hat now. Carry on

Back
Top Bottom