• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Zeroing in - How do you guys see so far?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
So I've always heard that you should zero a rifle at 50 meters/yards. This is for red dot, irons and scopes. For red dot and iron sights how do you see so far? I can understand aiming and shooting at a man size target, even a head shot at that distance but how do you aim at a small say 2" dot to get the optic or iron sights zero'd or am I missing something?

Btw, I consider myself to have good eyesight. Always had 20/20 and I dont have to wear glasses, although I havent had my eyes checked in a while I've been wondering about this for years. Guys saying that can hit targets at 100 yards with irons, HOW?

Btw, I consider myself to have good eyesight. Always had 20/20 and I dont have to wear glasses, although I havent had my eyes checked in a while I've been wondering about this for years. Guys saying that can hit targets at 100 yards with irons, HOW?

Shoot-N-See targets are a god send for zeroing iron sights/red dots without a magnifying optic to look through.

I regularly shoot my scar 17 between 100-700 yards with irons at Gunsite Hills.

I prefer to shoot with an optic, but always train irons when I can.

I used to have 20/10 vision. Nothing I could not see, far or near, open sights or scope ( no red dots back in my day ). Now, glasses and open sight are starting to give me a little bit of a challenge, Just ordered my first red dot so we'll see how that works out. You can do as I do with open sights. Sights my be a little blurry, but with both eyes open you see the impact of the bullet, adjust accordingly.

I shoot a ruger procession rifle in 308 and at 100yrs I'm pretty consistent hitting a 1" sticky dot. Scope wasn't too expensive compared to others. It a SWFA super sniper, around $ 700. FFP.

A black dot on a white background is easy to see at distance. The longer the distance, the bigger the target and dot. There are standard size targets for different distances, you do not shoot a 50' small bore target at 200 yds, for example.

Back
Top Bottom