• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Zeroing in - How do you guys see so far?

Use an appropriate size target?

Like 12" for buckhorn sights. Maybe 8" for a peep, 12" if you have trouble with 8". Some 12 inch shoot-n-sees are useful to have in your bag.

You need a big enough "blur" to be able to consistently align your sights with it. And do I need to mention that you need to be on a bench, with bags? The target should be a blur, because you are focusing on your front sight only, so that blur needs to be the right size and color, with enough background to make a consistent easily-distinguishable blur.

Now with scopes... 11" divided by magnification for scopes works pretty well at 100 yards, for me and my reticles. Basically, in my scopes, I want to see an 11 MOA circle to aim at. So at 600 yards with a 22X scope, I want 11 times six divided by 22 equals 3". So yeah, I want a 3" dot at 600. On a 4X scope, I'd want a 12" target at 600 yards. Etc. (Truth be told, I prefer an 8 MOA circle inside an 11 MOA circle, but that's not always practical.) I have found that if the aiming points get much larger than this, my group size suffers. Like those 36" circles at Anniston at 600 yards... I hear they have addressed that, but I haven't been back. Hard to shoot a tight group when the circle is pretty much the entire field of the scope. So you end up lowering your magnification, and that tends to hurt group size.

Get further than 600 and mirage may affect the minimum size, but if you shoot that far, you already know that.

And if you have really thick reticle lines, you may need more than 11 MOA to aim at. I have a Leupold 2.5X, with the thick lines, and I need 20" for that guy.

You should be focusing on the front sight, so you're doing that right.

Yes and no. I focus to hard on lining them up that i don't look at the target. I have a hard time looking through them, i'm more looking at them. If that makes sense. It's really a lack of practice. Fundamentals I have, and I can hit paper but marksman I am not

I will take a black sharpie and make myself a black square to shoot at vs a circle... It's easier for me...
6 o'clock hold...………………………….

I will take a black sharpie and make myself a black square to shoot at vs a circle... It's easier for me...
6 o'clock hold...………………………….
I just take a black sharpie to draw a circle around my hits and call it a day.;)
Yes and no. I focus to hard on lining them up that i don't look at the target. I have a hard time looking through them, i'm more looking at them. If that makes sense. It's really a lack of practice. Fundamentals I have, and I can hit paper but marksman I am not
As said above, it's probably a matter of that size/contrast of the target area you're sighting on. Use a target with a large black (or contrasting) center. If have a box of 1" white spot stickers to hilite the center of that region.

You should be focusing ONLY on the front sight. The rear sight should be blurry, and the target should be blurry. 100+ years of marksmanship training has taught us that this is the winning combination.

Focusing on anything other than the front sight keeps you from having a consistent sight picture. A few thousandths of an inch variation in front sight position equals inches in bullet placement at 100 yards, so the front sight is the most crucial thing on which to focus.

I humbly suggest attending a two day Appleseed event. There you'll be taught a LOT of good information on how to sight at the target, as well as proper trigger squeeze, and how to use the wonderful USGI sling - a marksmanship aid you can have with you in the field, unlike the shooting bench that so many rely on.

You'll also get a lot of practice, good coaching, and be taught how to take it home and improve by perfect practice.

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedulemap/

use the force
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom