• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Zeroing in - How do you guys see so far?

Army qualifies out to 300 meters with open sights and Marines go out to 500 meters I believe? I believe you can get copies of the targets they use for zeroing?

So I've always heard that you should zero a rifle at 50 meters/yards. This is for red dot, irons and scopes. For red dot and iron sights how do you see so far? I can understand aiming and shooting at a man size target, even a head shot at that distance but how do you aim at a small say 2" dot to get the optic or iron sights zero'd or am I missing something?

Btw, I consider myself to have good eyesight. Always had 20/20 and I dont have to wear glasses, although I havent had my eyes checked in a while I've been wondering about this for years. Guys saying that can hit targets at 100 yards with irons, HOW?

Really big targets LOL. You never know there target could be the side of the barn

Zeroed one in today, the middle was the last 2 shot after making some adjustments
View attachment 2309329

I would of been happy with the first 3 LOL

Shoot-N-See targets are a god send for zeroing iron sights/red dots without a magnifying optic to look through.

I regularly shoot my scar 17 between 100-700 yards with irons at Gunsite Hills.

I prefer to shoot with an optic, but always train irons when I can.

Jeebus. there's no way I could do that. I struggle to 0 in at 25 yards. I think I start to focus to much on the end of the barrel when I use irons and lose sight of the target.

Jeebus. there's no way I could do that. I struggle to 0 in at 25 yards. I think I start to focus to much on the end of the barrel when I use irons and lose sight of the target.
I don’t zero at that distance lol, just make hits.

The scar sights are built for monkeys to be proficient with them though. My favorite irons ever.

Are you asking about taking the actual shot? If so, turn down the red dot brightness to the lowest level where you can still see it.

If you mean how do you see where your shots land on the paper... I bring a pair of binoculars and take a peek after 3 shot groups.

I zero my irons at 25 yards, then fine tune at distance if needed. I do wear glasses when I shoot irons

View attachment 2308463

Shooting 100 yds w/25-yd zero
View attachment 2308465

This unless you are into match shooting, you can zero a gun for longer ranges at much shorter ranges.

I check the zero on my rifles at the local 25 yard range, and then when I get a chance verify it at 200 yds. Any error in POA is within my error of aiming.

Back
Top Bottom