• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

‘86-style ban on handguns; Best choice for a world without new handguns

‘86-style ban on handguns; What’s the best heirloom gun?

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • CZ 75

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • SIG Sauer (specific model in comments)

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • S&W 3rd Gen

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Wheelie

Votes: 27 22.3%
  • Glocos

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Beretta 92

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Ruger P89

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Tacos

Votes: 11 9.1%

• Total voters
Not a fan of 9mms but under your scenario I'd go with them. Pick ones that have a long track record of reliability. Buy multiples of same model and start stacking ammo while it's cheap. Also spare parts and lots of mags.
JMO, sure there'll be lots of others.

Sig 226, 228, 229 in 9, 239 in 9
basically all the metal frame 9mm options. I have some over 20 and you can't tell other than a weak spring you can replace.

Wheelies are also good, 38/357 is my default - SW, Ruger, Colt. History proves these can go 50-100 years.

this also simplifies the ammo
I do not believe in 1911's in 9, or 7+1 anything if my choices are so limited

Glock, Beretta 92, or 1911A1. why these? Because there are more accessories for them.
Different caliber barrels. Rimfire conversion kits. Tons of spare parts, holsters, and other stuff.

That's assuming you want a range gun / open carry gun/ home defense handgun.

Now, if you want something small to carry concealed, my "one handgun for when you can only afford one" would be a compact 9mm that can use full-length slides and longer magazines with molded-on pinky finger extensions that feel just like the grip frame of the gun itself has been lengthened when these magazines are in place.

Who makes those? Springfield Armory on their XD series, right?
I think Walther has a similar system.

When handguns become what machineguns are today, I want a modular gun that I can configure many different ways, all based on the same frame (the serial-numbered part that is federally restricted).

Gotta Sig P228 since 1991 (13rd mags) to this day no 9mm I've ever shot or owned is tougher, more reliable or tighter grouping. Been Flawless(!!) all these years, and will indeed pass down to the sons one day. So that's clearly my #1

Some of my wheelers are Fantastic and long-lived as well. 1970's S&W Chief Special, & a Colt Detective Spec- both 38's; plus my GP100, SP101 and Blackhawk- all .357....will most likely remain in the family. Only one I'm flippy about at times is the 101 and consider sometimes getting 3" (one I have is 2.25).

The best gun to hand down to your children is any one that you've used in the defense of freedom. I would prefer to inherit a Hi-Point that had been used in a war against tyranny than a Colt that was hidden away for safe keeping.

Are we seriously to the point of giving up on freedom, and asking "what gun, that 'THEY' let me keep, would be the best to hand down to my children so that they can revel in my failure as an American?"

The best type to keep would be a single action black powder revolver, the only type THEY "might" let you keep. Have it engraved "I chose to crouch down and lick the hands that fed me".

Back
Top Bottom