22LR Subsonics Ammo recommendation?

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
So I got in on the Isis22 group buy, so now I have 6 months to wait for the can.

I want to stock up on ammo before it gets here... mainly 22LR.

My hosts:
Ruger 22/45 MKIII 5" barrel.
Spike's AR ST-22 dedicated pistol upper on NFA lower - 5" barrel.
DPMS 7" .223 AR Pistol with CMMG 22LR conversion kit on DPMS lower.
M&P-22

Still haven't picked out a rifle host yet, probably will go with a CZ 452 or 455. Or maybe a Ruger 10/22.

Now I need ammo recommendation.
Since most of my guns are shorter barrel, most standard velocity ammo wont go super-sonic correct?? I can just use bulk pack ammo?

What's the best (quietest) 22LR ammo you've shot?

I'm going to bulk up on these just for plinking:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/FEDE..._f3747f27&WT.mc_id=al35987&rid=12&WT.tsrc=AFF

I think it's free shipping after $99, so I'll pick up 10 packs for 3250 rounds.

What else should I pick up? Some Aguila SSS? CCI?

If the standard velocity stuff is too noisy, Walmart sells Remington Subsonic for around $3.50 a box, or $35 a brick. I think the last price I paid was $35.70 + tax. Which would come out to $38.20.

Still, Federal bulk pack will always be my go-to for general plinking.

You need to take another half an inch off that AR barrel to send bulk pack downrange subsonic(from what I have read),
As I understand 4.5" is the sweet length, I'm sure some bulk will stay sub from 5" though

Otherwise I really like CCI subsonic, and HATE remington subs(dirty and duds)

Also Aguila SSS wont stabilize unless shot from a 1:9 twist(normal is 1:16), and most suppressors wont maintain their warranty if you damage it with those rounds.

I got a cart full from MidwayUSA with:
Remington 22LR Subsonic 38grain hollow point- $3.19 / 50
Aguila SuperExtra 22LR Subsonic 40gr round nose - $3.29 / 50
Aguila SuperExtra 22LR Subsonic 38gr hollow point- $3.59 / 50
Aguila SSS Sniper Subsonic 60gr round nose - $4.89 / 50
CCI Quiet Ammunition 40gr round nose - $2.69 / 50
CCI Quik-Shok Segmented 40gr HP Subsonic - $6.49 / 50
CCI Sub-Sonic HP 40gr hollow point - $7.29 / 100
RWS Subsonic 40gr Hollow Point - $7.99 / 50
Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 40gr subsonic hollow point - $3.99 / 50
SK Subsonic 40gr hollow point - $7.59 / 50

I'm going to grab a box of each, and test it using a audio equalizer and see what the DB level and what frequency they'll be.
Hopefully I can get another guy out there with another 22 can so we can test the difference between the can as well!
Will shoot wet / dry, and maybe test a gel as well to see if there's a huge difference.

I am so lost on all this 'subsonic' talk...I got in on the Isis22 buy also...

I guess I should learn up on it huh?

well the speed of sound changes at different temps and altitude, but around 1100 fps(not sure on this) the bullet breaks the speed of sound and makes a sonic crack. WHile the percussion of the round is gone due to the silencer, the crack(which I don't find all that loud) is what is generally recognized as a gunshot at a distance.

I have read that CCI standard is subsonic through 16" barrels, but I can't confirm that. but it does appear to be subsonic from pistols.
http://sgammo.com/product/cci/5000rds-22-lr-cci-standard-velocity-22-long-rifle-ammo-0035

Last edited:
I'm going to grab a box of each, and test it using a audio equalizer and see what the DB level and what frequency they'll be.
Hopefully I can get another guy out there with another 22 can so we can test the difference between the can as well!
Will shoot wet / dry, and maybe test a gel as well to see if there's a huge difference.

From what I understand this is no easy task unless you have very expensive equipment.

well the speed of sound changes at different temps and altitude, but around 1100 fps(not sure on this) the bullet breaks the speed of sound and makes a sonic crack. WHile the percussion of the round is gone due to the silencer, the crack(which I don't find all that loud) is what is generally recognized as a gunshot at a distance.

I have read that CCI standard is subsonic through 16" barrels, but I can't confirm that. but it does appear to be subsonic from pistols.
http://sgammo.com/product/cci/5000rds-22-lr-cci-standard-velocity-22-long-rifle-ammo-0035

Just confirmed, my ST22 is 5.5" barrel.
My AR15 pistol is 7.5" barrel, but since it's a .223 barrel, it'll probably affect the sound a bit.
My Ruger 22/45 is 1:16" RH twist with a 4.5" barrel. So it's the optimum barrel length according to Lax.
I really dont want to chop and re-crown my ST22 for an inch... probably wont make a huge difference.

Will test it all and let you know... in six months.

Back
Top Bottom