• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice on making final arrangements?

I just buried my Mother in June. My brother hired a Funeral Insurance people, they made sure that everything from the Casket to Flowers and Limo were not over priced. I can get you the type of people to contact if you give me until tomm. Sorry for your loss.

Resized_20190917_103322.jpg

Try finding a local business like this in your area.

Funeral homes are like car salesmen. You have pre need and need. There is a difference. My dad passed in June 18. Made arrangements just before he died. Got a cheap casket. They picked him up at hospital. No viewing closed casket. They transported to church and cemetery. No limo nothing. Cost $10k. Burial was prepaid in a double crypt in mausoleum. Had to battle the cemetery about getting engraving done. Took 2 months for that. But its all done now and I did what he asked. Told my family to just throw me on burn pile out back. They put the pressure on you to go big.

You can easily negotiate with pre-need. You probably can after the death, too, but that is not the time to do it. If you're doing a "traditional" in-ground burial, the casket is your largest single expense. As I remember, the rest of the expenses, embalming, hearse rental, tent, chairs, etc. were fixed and basically the same all over my town.

I found a mid-priced wood laminate online that was nice. I printed the listing and told the funeral director that I would buy from him if he matched the price for a similar one. He sort of took a deep breath and said something to the effect that the funeral business has changed. I paid $14,000, $7,000 each, for both Mom and Dad's complete arrangements at the funeral home. This was in 2009, a couple of months before Dad died. The plot, vaults, opening & closings, were handled many years before by my parents directly with the cemetery.

My aunt did not do pre-need with the funeral home. She spent $15,000 on my uncle's funeral, not including the cemetery arrangements. She did get a oak rocking chair that matched his casket. :rolleyes: I've already paid for my cremation. $900 including a 250 mile transport addendum.

I don't remember what site I found Dad's casket on, but this one might help. https://www.overnightcaskets.com/

Don’t get anything rush delivery ! It’s a total waste of money. It’s cheaper to get your Death certs in the beginning get what you think you’ll need and a few extras JIC. See if they have military discount ( most do) as long at least a family is a vet in case the deceased isn’t. The newspaper obituaries are crazy expensive, keep it short and sweet give the long version online.
The less you allow the FH to do, the better! Every thing a FH does has a fee.

Good luck

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The cost of the plot is just the beginning. There will be fees for the vault and other fees as well unless they prepaid them.

Anyone have ideas what to expect for the Vault fees and fees?

I would check to see if the person purchased an insurance policy to help pay for the arrangements. My father had an insurance policy that paid towards his burial. Does this person have a Will, living trust or power of attorney? Are they a Veteran that can be buried in a Veteran's cemetary?

No insurance or will. Not a veteran but was married to one. Does that help?

A different idea. My family, Mom, Dad, older brother all donated their bodies to the Medical College of Georgia. They will come and pick up the deceased, the body is used to teach new Doctors. When they are finished they pay to cremate the body and either send it to the family or inter it in the Memorial Garden at the college. No costs at all and your deceased relative helps a worthy cause. It's what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom