• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody else get a huge power bill this month ?

Not sure where you may live or who your provider is.

My bill was higher, but I am not immediately attributing that to corporate greed.

We had multiple polar vortexes reach into the south and the temp didn't get above freezing where I live for about a week. That tends to kick the kilowatts up.

Just paid mine for a 34 day billing period (Dec 19, 2023 - Jan 22, 2024) and it was $425.49, almost $200 higher than the previous month and about $100 higher than the bill from a year ago. Heating 6,000 square feet (3, 3-ton heat pump/air handler units/electric emergency heat) but we keep the thermostats at 71-72 during the day and drop it to 68 at night for "cooler" sleeping. As I have been told, my wife's comfort is more important that the cost.

Biggest gripe is that the typical highest bills (usually December and July) also span the longest time interval. As stated, 34 days last month and will only be for 29 days this month. I am in Alabama and our KWH cost is a few cents higher than in Georgia.

When you use more of a service generally it’s higher. It stinks but just part of life.

If your all electric heat pumps don’t do great with polar vortex type of events.

If you can supplement with gas or wood stove that usually a more cost effective.

Cold? You an't seen Cold, in my day I walked thru 20 Foot snow drifts to School, up hill both ways, barefoot, because we had to burn our shoes to heat our small one room cave. :eyebrows:

I have rebuilt my wood splitter this year, new engine, new hydraulic pump, new valve, new hose. Not sure I saved much money in the short term. Our electric bill goes down in the winter when other people’s go up though.

Back
Top Bottom