• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR style 9mm pistols - what to buy? Keltec Sub2000?

Well I traded into a g17 and slapped a cheap reflex sight on it. It is light as a feather and I believe it’s gonna give a sweet sight picture now, peeking at the red dot over top of the factory sights, which are just too low and tight fer me. This will be a nice easy setup for a new shooter IMO. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

View attachment 1427694 View attachment 1427695
Where did you get the sight?

3E1BB661-E368-41D4-9593-6854FEAAA9DB.jpeg
The earlier pictured sight is an ODT trade pos ncstar reflex. That reflex style has a nice big window but i believe it might be too flimsy so I’ve decided to go with an ODT sightmark instead. And an ODT KAC front grip.

View attachment 1428892 The earlier pictured sight is an ODT trade pos ncstar reflex. That reflex style has a nice big window but i believe it might be too flimsy so I’ve decided to go with an ODT sightmark instead. And an ODT KAC front grip.
Thanks. Can't fold it anymore though right? They make a swing away mount but it's $100 just for the mount!

It’s folding almost all the way with the sight mark red dot, all but the height of the red dot. I figure I’m gonna leave it like that. I like the sight picture and I don’t need it to fold all the way. Shucks it’s only 31” unfolded.

Congrats on the sub-2000 that uses the Glock 9mm mags!

As to the OP and the subsequent debate about what platform of weapon is good for a tiny person who isn't an experienced shooter:

I don't think an AR / AK / M1 Carbine type "pistol" is a good choice for plinking.
Something with a shoulder stock (or an arm brace that ATF would allow her to use as a shoulder stock!) would be a lot better.
Even for home defense, being able to tuck a stock up under your arm against your ribs really does aid in pointing and recoil control (9mm AR's have more recoil the the .223 versions, but a lot less muzzle blast, and I agree that 9mm is the better choice here).

So... I'd suggest looking at an AR 9mm carbine but with a 14.5" barrel and a permanently-pinned or welded flash suppressor.

An even better choice would be an AR carbine, 9mm, with a 9" barrel and a 7" long fake suppressor welded / pinned on the end. That way, you get total flash elimination, a really intimidating look from the front end (that muzzle accessory will have a .50 caliber hole at the end), some extra weight to tame recoil, and still just barely enough "barrel length" to keep the weapon out of the NFA registration and tax territory.
The 9" rifled section of the barrel will still be plenty to both stabilze and boost the velocity of the 9mm bullets over a typical handgun barrel length of 4.5" to 5.5 inches.

P.S. People tend to perform best with the guns they shoot a lot. People tend to shoot the guns more that are fun to shoot. Ergonomic and comfortable, and accurate enough to give them a feeling of accomplishment at the range. Carbines with shoulder stocks are easier to shoot tight groups with.
Tight groups shot during rapid fire is fun.
Fun = the gun's owner gets more trigger time on the weapon and gets to know it intimately.
Intimate familiarity with your weapon makes you fast and deadly with it when the chips are down.

485F85A7-6F5B-4C70-B3C8-F4BBC26893E5.jpeg
Well we made it a range and my tiny friend loved the Keltec with a red dot on the rail. Crazy light and not much kick. The only issue we ran into was that she doesn’t have the arm/finger strength to charge it (unless she sits down and puts a foot on the foregrip handle). I believe we can fix that with an upgraded charging handle. Overall the Keltec is great choice for a new shooter, IMO. Thanks everyone for the advice, and Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom