• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Asking for input - .22 bolt action rifle for kids

I haven't heard anything negative about the Ruger American. I do however favor wood stocks over synthetic.

I have a meet this AM to pick up a Ruger American in 22 mag.

Sweet! Let me know how you like it. I have a CZ 455 now with a Nikon rimfire on top and love it although I've not had much time to choot it.

I've never read or heard anything bad about the American and pretty much ALL have said how accurate it is.

I was wondering what the difference in price would be in comparison to an American w/Boyd's stock. The M77 would still be a good bit more, and with the Boyd's stock the American would look better, IMO. It would probably shoot better too.

The M77 will run about $600.00 retail, it seems the rimfire rifles are more costly and less available. You almost have to order the rimfire rifles.
I have a stainless/laminate 17HMR Ruger M77 and a 22 mag stainless Skeleton stock M77.
I have a Browning A bolt in 22LR, but it would be a little pricey for a kid to be plinking with.

Sweet! Let me know how you like it. I have a CZ 455 now with a Nikon rimfire on top and love it although I've not had much time to choot it.

I've never read or heard anything bad about the American and pretty much ALL have said how accurate it is.

I have the CZ452 in 17Mach2, those CZs are awesome. Mine will shoot dime size groups at 100 yards. Great trigger right out of the box.

I have some Marlin 917 that are great, after you put an adjustable trigger kit in them. Marlin triggers are aweful. 8-14 lbs.

The M77 will run about $600.00 retail, it seems the rimfire rifles are more costly and less available. You almost have to order the rimfire rifles.
I have a stainless/laminate 17HMR Ruger M77 and a 22 mag stainless Skeleton stock M77.
I have a Browning A bolt in 22LR, but it would be a little pricey for a kid to be plinking with.

You are killing me.....been wanting one of these Skeleton 77 22 and 22 mag's forever!!! Does your have the green inlay on the stock?

The Ruger American has 4 stock inserts for adjusting LOP and comb height.

The short ones take about an inch off the length of pull, and there is a short one with a raised comb if you're mounting a scope.

They are a great age for Appleseed. Affordable and fun for the whole family. Everyone will learn to become a better more consistent shooter. http://appleseedinfo.org/

You are killing me.....been wanting one of these Skeleton 77 22 and 22 mag's forever!!! Does your have the green inlay on the stock?

No. They are black. I had my sights set on a Skeleton 22LR, but it slipped away. That baby was one smooth shooting 22 LR.
I haven't shot the A-bolt 22LR, and I've had it for over a year.

Maybe a Marlin XT-22LR @$174.05 wholesale? Probably about $200 retail? Don't over look the lowly 795 either. Outfitted with TechSights they make fine training rifles. Used 10/22s are plentiful and fun. I don't know about Canton but here they run right at $180 - $200, used in great to new condition and there isn't much you can't fix on one.

If they haven't been yet, they are the (here I go with the broken record thing) perfect age for attending an Appleseed event. They'll learn the fundamentals of three position military marksmanship and the six steps of firing the shot. Take the two day course when you can (usually a Saturday and Sunday) you will not regret it.
Whats the age range for appleseed?

Whats the age range for appleseed?

5-100. There isn't a age limit, though sometimes the host range has one, sharpshooters in Roswell is 12.

I've had kids as young as five, my daughter went to her first at 6. Having a rifle that fits is really important when they are small.

We may modify their instruction a bit. We may not let them shoot standing, make translations, or even let them shoot off a bag.

it costs more money but a polish wz-48 military trainer is extremely accurate and would help teach them how to operate a normal rifle with iron sights.
they are built like a tank and an be used by adults as well or the children later in life for squirrel hunting etc. but no scope mounts sadly
edit: these went up in price since i got mine so don't get one unless you want a collectible shooter

a Remington 552 speedmaster is semi-auto but if you use 22 short then it turns into a bolt action type that requires you to chamber a round each time

Back
Top Bottom