• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 38 spl Ammo for Snub Nose

The plain wadcutter load was always the goto for 38 snubbies, back in the day. That is all you need in a belly gun.

I have started carrying The Federal 130 gr HST +P's in mine. I've read good things and I got really good expansion shooting through a stack of newspaper (I know, not a real good test matter)
The one thing I can say though, ya can't do a fast reload with them in a speed loader or bullet strip due to the flat end on them.
See the bottom pic, I pulled the bullet out of one just to see what it looked like, then reloaded it and shot it and a few more.
I'm shooting them out of a S&W 442

View attachment 2074356 View attachment 2074357 View attachment 2074358 View attachment 2074359
That’s what I carry in mine. @GaSouthSideRevolver did a thread on these a while back.

357 ?
9mm ?
Anything but 38?

Not sure why people are so attached to 38 Special after it's underwhelming performance for over a century.

Back in the day when the only real alternative in a 'pocket' gun was 25 or 32 ACP, you could see it.

But with small 9mm and 380s out there, and revolvers in 357 and 9mm that give better than 357 performance, why does anyone still bother with this round at all... At least for self defense?

I like Hornady critical defense. I read that Buffalo Bore ammo is specifically designed for the short revolver:

Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Ammo
158 gr. Soft Lead SWC-HC (850 fps/M.E. 253 ft. lbs.)
20 Round Box

ITEM 20C

Due to customer demand, we've developed this defensive 38 SPL ammo. Our customers wanted some devastating 38 SPL loads that would fill the following criteria.

1. It won't hurt older/fragile/alloy revolvers. (Non +P)
2. Is effective as a "fight stopper" through the use of proper bullets.
3. Is more powerful than typical/standard, weak 38SPL ammo.
4. Generate much less recoil than our +P 38SPL ammo.
5. Is flash suppressed.

Buffalo Bore is introducing these three different heavy, yet standard pressure loadings for 38 SPL. These offerings are loaded at standard pressure, but they are much more powerful than normal 38SPL ammo. These loads will not harm older more fragile revolvers. So, these loads are safe for use in ANY 38 SPL revolver, provided it is in normal working condition. As stated above, the "POWER" level of these loads is really closer to a typical +P power level, but the pressure is standard. We are able to develop these powerful standard pressure loads with modern non-canister powders. Again, these loads recoil far less than our +P 38 SPL ammo.

All three of these loads are flash suppressed, so firing them in the dark won't blind you. We use flash suppressed powder in our defensive ammo, in the loadings we can, because over 90% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light when the criminal element is at work. We don't want you blinded by your own gunfire after the first shot.

Back
Top Bottom