• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 38 spl Ammo for Snub Nose

LuckyGunner .com did some really good tests in many different defensive handgun loads, for several popular calibers.
They shot 5 rounds of each load into "heavy clothing" covered ordnance gelatin, from 10 feet, from real-world compact carry pistols.

Several .38 Spl loads perfomed well, mushrooming up to .55 to .70 caliber and penetrating to a depth of 11" to 14".

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/#38spl

The famous all-lead Semi -Wadcutter Hollow Point "FBI load" didn't expand from a 2" barreled revolver. Other loads, modern hollowpoints, lighter in weight and driven to higher velocities, opened up very well, and gave 95% as good penetration.

I have started carrying The Federal 130 gr HST +P's in mine. I've read good things and I got really good expansion shooting through a stack of newspaper (I know, not a real good test matter)
The one thing I can say though, ya can't do a fast reload with them in a speed loader or bullet strip due to the flat end on them.
See the bottom pic, I pulled the bullet out of one just to see what it looked like, then reloaded it and shot it and a few more.
I'm shooting them out of a S&W 442

View attachment 2074356 View attachment 2074357 View attachment 2074358 View attachment 2074359

Lucky Gunner tested these and for 5 shot avg got .71 expansion and 13" of penetration per FBI protocol.

Just ordered some for my j frame and kimber k6s 3"

I will load something with a protruding bullet in my speed strips. probably
38 Special +P - 130 gr JHP - Winchester Supreme Elite- .63 expansion and 12.2 " penetration

Back
Top Bottom