• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Self Defense Ammo for Subcompact .380

Leveraction44

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
33   0
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting an LCP Max and was wondering what is the best ammo for a very short barrel .380.

I noticed that Ruger specifically states NOT to use +P ammo.

I also noticed that Ruger has some images of the LCP Max magazine loaded with what looks like Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo.

What are your recommendations?

HST is always a recommended load for just about anything. I seem to remember when I had my LCP this was the round I decided on after research.

Fort Scott munitions TUI 95g
Give you the penetration of fmj and expansion of a hp, while giving you a smooth round profile that most likely will cycle and will not get stock in a feed ramp.
It’s also very accurate in almost every pistol I’ve try them on.

I use these

Attachments

• IMG_8058.jpeg
    IMG_8058.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 29
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 20
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 26
I carry 100 gr. FMJ in my P3AT, because it's
-- the same ammo I practice with
--the same ammo I adjusted my laser sighting module for, and
--I want to feel free to shoot up the ammo that's in the gun every range trip and replace it with fresh ammo, without having to pay a lot of money or scrounge around find who's got my preferred good hollowpoint ammo in stock.

But, if you really want the best 380 ammo that will open up widely in ballistic gelatin, even denim covered gelatin, and still penetrate 9 to 12 inches, there are a couple of loads that do this. And they are listed on the lucky gunner website under "380 ammo tests."

I was thinking about getting an LCP Max and was wondering what is the best ammo for a very short barrel .380.

I also noticed that Ruger has some images of the LCP Max magazine loaded with what looks like Hornady Critical Defense FTX ammo.

I use FMJs in my PPK. I also use FMJs in my 1911s. 9mm gets CorBon HPs or 147 grain FMJs in my silenced 9mm handguns and rifles. 5.56 gets green tips and 308 gets sierra matchkings. 300 WinMag gets Norma SPs because it likes them in my Bergara.

Covers most everything I shoot.

The link below is where I do my research for the most suitable defensive ammo based on a controlled environment testing…. and it appears to be about as "objective" as it can possibly be…. there are results for multiple calibers…. most of the results show that Speer Gold Dot is, on average, the best for penetration and effectiveness…. too bad law enforcement seems to get the lion share of that…. availability for civilian use is spotty at best…. it is rarely available…. I found some at Adventure Outdoors a few years ago and bought more than I could afford just because it was on the shelf…..

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom