• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Self Defense Ammo for Subcompact .380

Many people, who are supposedly in the know, think that a 380 is borderline for self-defense. Couple the ammo with a short-barrel pocket rocket and the performance is often less than stellar. Often the hollow point ammo is pretty iffy on expansion, and if it does expand, penetration is usually shallow.

This has factored into some people choosing FMJ ammo for the greater penetration.

It seems as though the full copper solid monolithic bullet maybe the best, from a 380 pocket rocket, in terms of both penetration and wound channel. The design does NOT rely on bullet expansion for an enhanced wound channel but uses hydraulic fluid displacement as the means. Deep penetration is reliable.

There are two basic designs used by Underwood - Xtreme Defender and Xtreme Penetrator. The Xtreme Defender is the one that offers the greatest wound channel.

380-acp-p-68-grain-xtreme-defender-sku-639__84804.1657719906.jpg

Many people, who are supposedly in the know, think that a 380 is borderline for self-defense. Couple the ammo with a short-barrel pocket rocket and the performance is often less than stellar. Often the hollow point ammo is pretty iffy on expansion, and if it does expand, penetration is usually shallow.

This has factored into some people choosing FMJ ammo for the greater penetration.

It seems as though the full copper solid monolithic bullet maybe the best, from a 380 pocket rocket, in terms of both penetration and wound channel. The design does NOT rely on bullet expansion for an enhanced wound channel but uses hydraulic fluid displacement as the means. Deep penetration is reliable.

There are two basic designs used by Underwood - Xtreme Defender and Xtreme Penetrator. The Xtreme Defender is the one that offers the greatest wound channel.

Interesting info…. thanks for sharing that…

I frequently pocket carry an LCP MAX for concealment and consider it to be a close-up "get off me" firearm…. unless a person is so drug-crazed they are completely dull-of-senses, when another is holding something in their hand that goes "BANG," they won’t likely hang around very long…. so the .380 will have served its purpose…. but I do carry the LCP with Federal 90gr HydraShok and a second mag of FMJ for the "just in case"…. I may try some of the Underwood ammo for the experience….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I frequently pocket carry an LCP MAX for concealment and consider it to be a close-up "get off me" firearm….

I understand that you may use it for a "get off me" firearm.

But that is not the case for many people.

Many people, who carry a pocket rocket, rely on it to fill the exact same niche as any other carry firearm.

They are often carried in place of the person's regular carry due to the concealment needs.

With that being said, most want the most effective ammo available in their pocket rocket since the caliber is considered borderline effective.

If a person had a service size pistol in 9mm, 40, 45, or 10mm, about any hollow point would be effective. Not so in a 380 mouse gun.

380 ammo selection for edc handgun:
1- what feeds/ejects reliably 100% in YOUR pistol?
2- if # 1 leaves you with multiple choices...what is the most accurate of those rounds in YOUR pistol?
3- gel tests / reviews on chosen ammo.
4- get ALOT of that ammo and PRACTICE.

I EDC a Glock 42. Every single day.
Combat worthy? No
Suitable for LE chasing bad guys? No
What it is....is always there. I have other options, but the little 42 is what I carry, because I never have an excuse not to have it on my person. I shoot it regularly and can keep everything where it needs to be at appropriate handgun distances. That's the only way I'd carry a 380.... with enough practice to be proficient. It's not an incapable round, but it doesn't generate the margin of error that many folks take advantage of with faster or larger projectiles. For every "failure to stop" story about a 380, someone else has a one shot stop story to match it. Same with 9mm/45.
Placement will rule the day.
As an aside.... based on my criteria.... my 42 is generally loaded with Sig 90gr VCrown, Hornady 90gr FTX (critical defense) or Browning 95gr flat nose fmj... those 3 have been outstanding in reliability and accuracy in MY pistol.

If you want to carry a 380, go ahead, lots of us do, along with alot of folks carrying snub nose 38's and other uncool artillery.

Be armed, be proficient, and be comfortable with your choice.

If you can't be those 3 with a 380, then grab another caliber. Same thing can be said for 9, 45, 10, 357, etc etc.

Performance in gel tests was so good Bill Wilson bought the company ...............

Back
Top Bottom