• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Blocking Gun Laws With Patents?

Vexmaster

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
30   0
Reaction score
"Legislators in several states are working on laws that would require certain gun manufacturers to implement 'microstamping' to help law enforcement solve gun crimes. 'Lasers engrave a unique microscopic numeric code on the tip of a gun’s firing pin and breech face. When the gun is fired, the pressure transfers markings to the shell casing and the primer. By reading the code imprinted on casings found at a crime scene, police officers can identify the gun and track it to the purchaser, even when the weapon is not recovered.' As with any gun-related legislation, many people oppose these new laws. In California, a law passed in 2007 requires that when microstamping (which is easily defeat-able) is no longer patent encumbered, all new guns in CA must use it. To fight it, an organization called the Calguns Foundation paid a fee to extend the patent in order to prevent the law from going into effect."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/06/13/215204/blocking-gun-laws-with-patents

Who cares? If you aren't going to use your gun in a crime then exactly how does it affect you? It doesn't seem like it would even cost that much...

Just because it doesn't affect me directly doesn't make it right for the government to do. We're not talking gay marriage, we're talking about keeping the government from infringing on our right to bear arms. What's next? Gps installed in the grips?

If it were the legal gun owners committing crimes, then I could see this as being a practical way to solve crimes. However, being that criminals acquire guns illegally, it still would not solve the actual problem. This would simply create more work for LE and hassles for law-abiding citizens. It's really hard for me to believe that California would pass such useless legislation. I mean, an 8th grader could reason this.

If they could develop a way to transfer that info into a Quicken account it would sure beat carving notches in your stock. :cool:

If it were the legal gun owners committing crimes, then I could see this as being a practical way to solve crimes. However, being that criminals acquire guns illegally, it still would not solve the actual problem. This would simply create more work for LE and hassles for law-abiding citizens. It's really hard for me to believe that California would pass such useless legislation. I mean, an 8th grader could reason this.

I can agree with this to an extent. There are definitely crimes that this wouldn't help solve but there are plenty of others that this actually could help with. For example, if the gun has only had 2-3 owners or less then it wouldn't be hard to track it from the original buyer to who he/she sold it to, who they sold it to, etc. This wouldn't work for all crimes of course because the gun could've been stolen, had transferred hands too many times, etc., but anything that assists in locking up people who misuse firearms while essentially leaving law abiding citizens alone is alright with me.

Just because it doesn't affect me directly doesn't make it right for the government to do. We're not talking gay marriage, we're talking about keeping the government from infringing on our right to bear arms. What's next? Gps installed in the grips?

They aren't doing anything to infringe on your right to bear arms...

Not to hard to believe that Californians would pass this, any type gun control/legislation would be alright with them! Libs.

Back
Top Bottom