• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Buying in another state?

I found that, and I understand that the licensee (ffl) can sell to me if it doesn't violate his state law.
I just couldn't manage to find anything covering private transaction between folks who live in different states.

And that why I was saying... it’s gets muddy. Lol. Trust me I went through this exact same thing. It’s the only reason I was commenting. Mind you this was while I was still policing and couldn’t find anything concrete written. But... I did call and talk to a bunch of ffls. And this is why I said that (in reference to private party) Georgia requires you to go through a Georgia ffl if you’re a Georgia resident and buying from a person out of state. This is what was told to me by not only Alabama ffls but also Georgia ffls. So yes I could meet him at ffl in Alabama but they were still going to have to ship it a Georgia ffl to actually do the transfer. Being a Georgia resident and buying directly from an ffl in another state is different and fairly concrete as the link above tells everyone.

8666D6B2-8795-4D7D-9535-4CBCFB85EC0C.jpeg

It really isn't muddy at all. A non licensee (meaning anyone who doesn't have an FFL) cannot transfer a gun to anyone who does not reside in the same state. Period. That is pretty much all there is to it. If you want to sell a gun (or give a gun, what ever) to someone from another state the transfer has to be done by an FFL. Seems pretty simple to me.

It really isn't muddy at all. A non licensee (meaning anyone who doesn't have an FFL) cannot transfer a gun to anyone who does not reside in the same state. Period. That is pretty much all there is to it. If you want to sell a gun (or give a gun, what ever) to someone from another state the transfer has to be done by an FFL. Seems pretty simple to me.

we all get that. But what arose was... when the op asked if he could just meet the guy at lgs in Florida and do the the transfer there. And I was stating the actual ffl transfer would have to be a Georgia ffl since he’s a Georgia resident.

we all get that. But what arose was... when the op asked if he could just meet the guy at lgs in Florida and do the the transfer there.
Which is perfectly fine as long as the dealer in Florida is ok with it. It is no different if he ships it to the Florida dealer or walks in and hands it to him.

we all get that. But what arose was... when the op asked if he could just meet the guy at lgs in Florida and do the the transfer there.
This! Even if the Georgia resident traveled to Florida to inspect the shotgun, it would still have to be shipped to a Georgia FFL before the Georgia resident could legally receive it. The 2 parties couldn't simply meet at the LGS and do the paperwork there.

This! Even if the Georgia resident traveled to Florida to inspect the shotgun, it would still have to be shipped to a Georgia FFL before the Georgia resident could legally receive it. The 2 parties couldn't simply meet at the LGS and do the paperwork there.

Exactly!!! lol. Exactly what I went through.

No that is not correct. You can buy a long gun from an FFL dealer in another state. If your friend from Florida came into my place and transferred a shotgun to me, I could turn around and legally transfer it to you. No problems. As a dealer I can acquire a firearm from anywhere in the US. I can only sell it to someone in my state of residence or ship it to a dealer in the buyers state. In other words if you went to Florida to buy a shotgun from a friend it is perfectly fine as long as you do it through an FFL. Now if it were a handgun, the Florida FFL would have to ship it to a Ga FFL.

Back
Top Bottom