• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Career advice

Welders make incredible money once they get good at it. be prepared to have terrible eye site real quick. Diesel mechanics and the diesel field period is under a severe shortage right now. I worked in the medium/heavy duty truck world for a few months and saw it first hand. The problem with diesel mechanics are that the young guys get the flat rate jobs that take awhile to do and the older experienced techs get gravy jobs that pay 4 hours but can be done with experience in 2. That's how they make the killer money. Maybe look into driving a truck. The first year will suck for you but after that and you get experience it gets better. Shoot me a pm I can chat some more if you like..

I'm a retired metro Atl. area fireman, and never thought I could retire at age 50 and literally bring home $1000 a month more than I made when I worked with my county and state pension combined. Yes, getting up at night sucks in a 24 hour shift but look at this long term. I know several people who quit the fire fighter job and now see their buddies retired, and they're still working and they're kicking themselves for leaving. I encourage you to stay with the FD and work PT at least one of your two days off. I understand about missing special events because it never fails that event falls on the day you work. Hopefully your FD lets you swap time with others for partial or whole shifts. There's a lot of companies that love to hire FF's for part time work. Feel free to PM if you want to talk more.

Hey guys, so I'm looking fo some advice. I'm currently a full time fireman. Long story short, I'm entertaining the idea of changing fields. I've been looking at a trade route as opposed to traditional school. I've bene reading, and welding seems like a fantastic job opportunity and there aren't many people my age (26) that are going that trade route. Anybody think this is a good idea? Any additional advice?

My cousins husband has his own Welding Business in Long Island, NY. He only has girls and all are certified Welders. He makes a good living but hates NY, so hes moving to Arizona. Welding is one of those Trades that will always have work. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom