• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Career advice

Oh of course there are. But missing holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, family visits, all that gets old as well.

just keep in mind doing the same thing over and over again every day gets old as hell too. I work a decent job in the STEM field and dont do bad but my god does the boredom drive me absolutely insane, i have been highly considering going into work for myself just to try and not hate the day to day and funny enough have also been looking into a career as a firefighter as well if i could figure out what all the hell you have to do nowadays, so i guess im on the opposite side of the fence

Hey guys, so I'm looking fo some advice. I'm currently a full time fireman. Long story short, I'm entertaining the idea of changing fields. I've been looking at a trade route as opposed to traditional school. I've bene reading, and welding seems like a fantastic job opportunity and there aren't many people my age (26) that are going that trade route. Anybody think this is a good idea? Any additional advice?

I would look at opportunities that have you in charge of your own future. If you aren't the lead dog, The view is always the same.

From what I know firemen typically work 24 on 24 off.

There are a number of businesses you could set up and run on your off days. Dip your toe in the industry before quitting a sure thing.

Transmission repair/racing transmissions.
HVAC When things fire up again in the middle east. They need repairmen and are willing to pay!
Several people mentioned specialty welding.

If you do what you love, it's not work. Figure out what what you really like and find a way to make a living doing it.

If you go trades, you will be making your living like an athlete. An injury sidelines you, a serious injury means early retirement.

You are well covered as a firemen should you get injured on the job, while it is possible to get the same coverage doing trades, it costs more and comes out of your pocket one way or another.

Yes, trades make a bunch of money an hour, but it is often not steady work 12 months a year. Save (as in in a bank) all but living expenses, and you should be fine. But spend that 90 an hour like you are living a $200,000 a year lifestyle, and you will a live boom or bust existence. Pension will be self funded, or tie you to one employer who will limit what your hourly pay will be.

Do you have a wife and kids to consider?

Back
Top Bottom