• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cash

Guess I’m old. Cash for me. Have started using debit card at grocery store about 3-4 years ago. Before that I would write a check. Yes the kids at work laugh at me but at least I can buy a drink from machine when I want one. And never pay at the pump for gas. Cash is king.

vending machines have credit card readers now lol

Why wouldnt you ...i make 2.5% everytime i swipe that card vs 0% everytime i carry cash maybe negative if i lose some change....make money work for you not the other way around
Who is paying 2.5%? I'm getting ready to switch soon.

It amazes me grown men don’t carry any cash.i was with a friend at lunch that put a pack of chewing gum on a card.
I don't ever carry cash unless the transaction I'm headed to requires it. If paper is destroyed, good luck getting it back. If plastic is destroyed, well they just send me a new one. Also, if cash is stolen, it's gone for good. Card is stolen, you can get whatever fraudulent charges reversed. Pay for something with cash and it isn't what it was supposed to be, well you're SOL. With a card, you can charge back if needed. Do you get points on the cash you spend? Didn't think so. The trick is to keep your balance as near zero as possible.

Also, your credit score...I have 5 credit cards I keep a small balance on as well as a car and a house. On time, near 0 balance spread across accounts along with on time payments on the house and car is why I float above an 800 FICO score.

I've taken my family on some good trips with points alone as well.

Can't do that if I'm buying packs of gum with pocket change.

I always carry some cash. I have always had to travel to different counties to work. Sometimes the visa equipment does not work as it should in the small towns and they generally will not accept an out of town IOU.

I used to feel the same way, and paid cash for everything. But I finally realized my own ignorance and now I'll even put a pack of gum on the CC. Like other have said, why would I not want the 1.5-3% cash back?

Trust me, vendors that don't have a cash discount have already added 3% to the cost of all merchandise. So paying cash instead of a rewards card you're just screwing yourself over.

I still do carry cash though. Always tip in cash (because taxation is theft and it's their business if they want to report it or not).

I'd feel naked if I didn't have atleast a couple hundred cash on me. But am no longer against swiping that card for even the smallest purchases like gum.

I carry some cash, not a ton but enough for just in case.
Case in point, went to Walmart and did the self check out thing. About half way through and the readout says "electronic payment out of service, cash only" I wanted what I was buying and the total was 30 bucks and change so I had 2 20's and fed them to the machine and got my change back and brought my items home.
I would have had to walk away if I didn't have some cash on me. I prefer using my debit card but sometimes you have to fall back. Same reason I carry my get home bag in my car and always have extra ammo for my EDC handy.

Back
Top Bottom