• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Do you pass on a good deal if it requires a Bill of Sale?

:clap2:

The reason you couldn't connect the dots is because they are making a faulty argument. The "E" in "LE" means "enforcement" not "erudition." If you want to know the law, don't ask/listen to LE. ;)

I second that. I have a buddy who's APD. He can never answer the questions I ask about codes. To his credit he doesn't try to fake it.

Why do right thinking gun owners actively hate BoS's?

The left wants to track and document all gun transfers. Why? Because they want to register and eventually sieze all guns from private citizens. Don't believe it? Then you're a dumbass and shouldn't be carrying a lethal weapon. You lack the common sense to be armed with anything more dangerous than a rubber band gun and even that's iffy.

So, whenever we buy from a gun store or pawn shop we fill out a 4473. PRESENTLY the law requires only that those be kept on file...forever. Why? Because they know that at some point the government CAN demand them. The law doesn't allow that yet but the existense of those documents is not an accident. There is NO reason to keep them on file other than that the government will be able to at some point use them to start tracing guns. Period. And I hopw you can see how tenuous the stability of the laws protecting our freedom is.

Why for ****s sake would we voluntarily do the same thing to each other...to ourselves?

When we transfer a weapon from me to you to him to her to Bob, to Jim, to Joe.etc...we "launder" those guns. We wash away the taint of government tracing. Now the BoS's aren't by any means iron clad or even half-ass as far as tracking but when/if the time ever does come that someone kn ocks on your door with a 4473 in hand demanding your X and you run to hand him your BoS with your slightly sweaty, quivering fingers, you are a traitor to freedom.

A BoS is just a security blanket for those who lack the courage to face the uncertainty that comes hand in hand with freedom.
word

In order to break the law you have to knowingly sell to a felon or to a non-resident. You don't have to ask a single question or see any ID.

The ATF stings that cought people selling across state lines were cases where the people were selling dozens of guns. It was blatant.

The Bloomberg stings that caught people selling to non-residents and felons involved buyers that told the seller that they were either from out of state or that they wouldn't pass a background check. It was blatant.

Is there some trickery going on with some transfers? Undoubtedly. Am I worried about getting put in jail after being tricked into selling to someone? Nope.

Telling the cops that I thought the transfer was legal is the exact same thing as having a BOS that says I thought it was legal. In both cases, they'd have to prove otherwise. You might be a bit better off with a BOS in the rare scenario that would put you in such a position, but there are countless other risks with completing a BOS so you take your chances either way.

BOS's are a no-go for me, because I believe they are like stores volunteering to stop selling magazines or ARs to citizens. They are self inflicted control measures that many of us would scream about if they were mandated and controlled by the government. BOS requirements don't just limit buyers, they're a step towards limiting freedom.

This is correct. No requirement to see an ID. Personally I'll show you my GWL all day long if it makes you feel better, but as I have said many times on this thread, the useless BOS is a no-go.

And regarding Bloomberg stings those were against dealers (not individuals), and it is now a felony to do this in GA. "Straw Purchase / Anti-Bloomberg Law - Any person who attempts to solicit, persuade, encourage, or entice any dealer to transfer or otherwise convey a firearm other than to the actual buyer, as well as any other person who willfully and intentionally aids or abets such person, shall be guilty of a felony. (16-11-113)"

And regarding Bloomberg stings those were against dealers (not individuals)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-ztawuh98
Private unlicensed gun dealers were captured on video selling weapons to undercover investigators who admitted they couldn't pass background checks in a sting operation by Mayor Michael Bloomberg to highlight the 'gun show loophole.'

Unlicensed dealers sounded like individuals to me. Regardless, you're right that they did not try to sting people via FTF meets at Chick-fil-a, ODT style.

You're stupid, and I'm not implying anything.
The law doesn't require a private seller to verify a damn thing.

Some of ya'll go beyond ignorance and straight to stupid.

My question was an honest one and I certainly did not vote for the current president. Part of selling a firearm is an honest attempt to determine the person is not a felon and buying with malicious intent. For my comfort level, that is looking at a Georgia WCL. I feel that a bill of sale is a CYA in the event something happens down the line with the gun and someone comes knocking on my door if I'm the original purchaser. To date, I've never had anyone with an issue whatsoever doing a bill of sale. If someone wasn't willing to put their address on a bill of sale, I wouldn't want to do the sale anyway. If your opinion is different, that is ok.

I've only been on the forum for a couple of months and thought this was a good place full of fairly tolerant people. I'm pretty surprised at the responses implying I'm stupid or a liberal (far from it) for asking a serious question. Most of the 'answers' given were not really answers. Many were simply "I'll move on".

Back
Top Bottom