• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Dog allergies and raw dog food.

Just thought I would share my experience which might help others who have a dog suffering with allergies. I got a new dog who was a little over a year old back last March. It had been 3 years since fatalbert died so I was long over due a new best friend.

Thor, my new dog, developed some pretty severe skin allergy problems not long after I got him. Vet said it was grass allergies and gave him shots and meds but these only treated the systems and not much either. I tried several different grain free and fancy dog foods and shampoos, nothing seemed to help.

After hearing about how a raw diet helped other dogs with allergies I said screw it, I'll give it a shot. It's been 100% successful for me. He went from having flakey dry skin, crusty ears and toes to back to being absolutely beautiful again.

Not only only did it fix the allergies there's a ton of benefits to feeding raw for your dogs overall health. Down side it's expensive and takes some prep time. Unless you buy premade then it's just really expensive. Doing it yourself is expensive, but cheaper than vet bills + a decent kibble.

You can't just throw raw meat at them though, there are guidelines to follow. There's two models that are mainstream I guess you'd say. PMR (Prey model Raw) and BARF (biological appropriate raw food). If you're interested I suggest you research these two and see which one you prefer. There's not much difference between the two to be honest.

I went with the PMR model, and in short you feed them 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organs. Basically your mimicking them eating an entire prey animal. There's more too it than that and organ meats are extremely important to having a balanced diet.

Here's a guide I used that has been extremely helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

https://www.rawfeedingadviceandsupport.com/

Thor before rawView attachment 2353312 View attachment 2353313 View attachment 2353315

Thor now. View attachment 2353317 View attachment 2353319

you have a beautiful Dog.

Glad to see your dog is doing well. My daughter has his twin (also named Thor) and she has had a time with his allergies. It seems as if those allergies are common to that breed and color. She has had to give her dog monthly shots and weekly baths.. so far that has worked for her. I will let her know about the diet.

I have an oreo colored one, and he is healthy as a horse
That's crazy you say she has his twin named Thor, I have a customer that came in the shop, swore my dog was his and said his name is Thor too. His Thor also had allergies and he's the one who first turned me on to raw.

And absolutely, skin allergies are two fold for blue pits because they're common in both pitbulls and pretty much any "blue" colored dog. Unfortunately lots of bad breeding practices from backyard breeders doing anything they can to get that blue color so they can sell them on Craigslist :tsk:

Definitely tell her to try the guide I linked out. If her Thor is like mine she'll know in just a week or two I it's working.

Just thought I would share my experience which might help others who have a dog suffering with allergies. I got a new dog who was a little over a year old back last March. It had been 3 years since fatalbert died so I was long over due a new best friend.

Thor, my new dog, developed some pretty severe skin allergy problems not long after I got him. Vet said it was grass allergies and gave him shots and meds but these only treated the systems and not much either. I tried several different grain free and fancy dog foods and shampoos, nothing seemed to help.

After hearing about how a raw diet helped other dogs with allergies I said screw it, I'll give it a shot. It's been 100% successful for me. He went from having flakey dry skin, crusty ears and toes to back to being absolutely beautiful again.

Not only only did it fix the allergies there's a ton of benefits to feeding raw for your dogs overall health. Down side it's expensive and takes some prep time. Unless you buy premade then it's just really expensive. Doing it yourself is expensive, but cheaper than vet bills + a decent kibble.

You can't just throw raw meat at them though, there are guidelines to follow. There's two models that are mainstream I guess you'd say. PMR (Prey model Raw) and BARF (biological appropriate raw food). If you're interested I suggest you research these two and see which one you prefer. There's not much difference between the two to be honest.

I went with the PMR model, and in short you feed them 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organs. Basically your mimicking them eating an entire prey animal. There's more too it than that and organ meats are extremely important to having a balanced diet.

Here's a guide I used that has been extremely helpful. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.

Thor before rawView attachment 2353312 View attachment 2353313 View attachment 2353315

That is one dang good looking dog Fatal_Bert Fatal_Bert

Mine went through the same thing but not a severe. At a local grocery store I get pork neck bones for 99 cents a pound. I give them a neck bone in the mourning and one in the evening. In the fall they get a neck bone in the mourning and a bowl of dog food in the evenings to fatten them up a little for the winter. Stopped their flaking skin and turned the coats healthy and shiny and keeps their teeth nice and clean. And they love 'em. :)

That's crazy you say she has his twin named Thor, I have a customer that came in the shop, swore my dog was his and said his name is Thor too. His Thor also had allergies and he's the one who first turned me on to raw.

And absolutely, skin allergies are two fold for blue pits because they're common in both pitbulls and pretty much any "blue" colored dog. Unfortunately lots of bad breeding practices from backyard breeders doing anything they can to get that blue color so they can sell them on Craigslist :tsk:

Definitely tell her to try the guide I linked out. If her Thor is like mine she'll know in just a week or two I it's working.

Might want to have him microchiped. My oldest miniature schnauzer was pretty bad allergies, I feed them blue buffalo chicken and brown rice and it has helped.

Back
Top Bottom