• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Engagement ring shopping

She just has her things that she cares about and I try to respect that when I'm getting stuff for her, especially something that will be this meaningful to her. If I bought her a used ring she'd just spend her time wondering about who's nasty finger it was on first. :D

I highly recommend Van Adams in Snellville. I bought my wife's diamond there 15 years ago and everywhere she goes the women are awed by it. He is Vietnamese and travels to the Orient to buy his diamonds and then sets them in his custom designs.
His prices are very competitive and he stands behind his work.
Take her there. You won't regret it.
Pm me and I'll let him know you are coming.
My wife's ring is currently appraised and insured for over two times what I paid for it.

I highly recommend Van Adams in Snellville. I bought my wife's diamond there 15 years ago and everywhere she goes the women are awed by it. He is Vietnamese and travels to the Orient to buy his diamonds and then sets them in his custom designs.
His prices are very competitive and he stands behind his work.
Take her there. You won't regret it.
Pm me and I'll let him know you are coming.
My wife's ring is currently appraised and insured for over two times what I paid for it.
I seem to recall saying this already???
15 years ago...
prices doubled...
it's not a phenomenon...it's a monopoly

Atlanta West Jewelry. Talk with Shain Jackson, dude is awesome! Especially if you want something custom, give him your budget and he will build a beautiful ring that no other woman will have. That was a big deal with my wife.

Seriously at least call and talk with him. You’re like me go big or go home.

http://atlantawestjewelry.com/

If you are anywhere near Buford check out Tara Gold and Diamond on Buford Highway, owned by my best friend from high school, his father was a jeweler and he's been in the business since he was a teenager.

I don't know anyone in the business anymore but after reading a couple of books on diamond grading and the business itself, I decided to buy from a broker and have it set at a jeweler's. I do know some jewelers in VA and when they told me what their margins were I was both seriously impressed and disgusted at the thought of buying anything in a retail shop. I'd stick to brokers if buying a stone and having it set. Any halfway competent jeweler can swap your stone without you knowing if don't have one serialized or mapped.

I got my Fiance's ring at Kay. She wanted a ring with multiple stones, and Kay had a "diamond bond" where they inspect the ring every 6 months and if anything happens to the stone/stones they replace them free, which has come in handy more than once.

hmm i remember a similar thread lol :D. what i ended up doing was buying the stone from bluenile, (though look at brilliance as well they had very good stone prices) and then i bought my setting from shane co. They will cover the ring even if lost, though they wont cover the stone because it wasnt through them (but it was less than half as much as one through them so even if i had to replace it i'd still be ahead).

do yourself a favor and watch some youtube videos about the diamond characteristics so you can go for what matters more to you but in general if you buy something right outside of the "desired" spec you will save some money such as, buy .49 instead of .5 or over or similarly buy .98 instead of 1.01, some with a tabel percentage 1-2% below desired, these kinda things can net you a very nice stone for a very reasonable price, also for the most part any other shape than round will be less expensive. I ended up going with a .49 marquise with excellent ratings and it wasnt bad at all

Do you have something in mind? Backstory...I hit all the big names when looking and shopped prices. Luckily for me, I met a high school friend by chance who worked for the now defunct Walter R Thomas. She gave me the number of gentleman who worked for several big name retailers discreetly, ultimately discovering he did design, molds, and repairs that in house workers weren't capable of. Long story short, he went out on his own and has a little shop in East Cobb with his wife. He's certified in every facet that I'm aware of, and his wife is extremely knowledgeable (and certified I believe) in other areas...she made a me a one off set of pearls for the wife.

I had her describe her perfect ring and I took that to him for him to design. He hand made her rings, allowing me to choose the diamonds and created the ring around them. I was able to see the process from mold to pick up and she was so much happier because it was exactly what she wanted AND it was something no one else had a duplicate of, something that makes a woman feel very special. I was impressed and it was actually in line or cheaper than similar rings I had shopped.

Forgot to add, off East Piedmont at Roswell Rd. Not much on the website by way of advertising, but when you are as good as he is I guess you don't have to?

His name is John @ http://rhyansdesignstudio.com/

Her ring and band: 24k white gold pave/baguette with VVS1/E princess cut center stone in classic Victorian era pronged setting @2.05 carats. I had it independently appraised and he remarked on the quality of the diamonds and craftsmanship, and also the appraised value was 2.5 times what I had actually paid. Can't speak highly enough of them.

Back
Top Bottom