• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Revolver Suggestion??

You really can't go wrong with either Ruger or S&W.

IMHO a 4" barrel is the perfect all-around pistol, but for range duty there's nothing wrong with a 6".

Stainless is easier to keep clean, but there's something about the blueing on a classic smith.

In theory, I might shy away from a S&W M19 if you intend to shoot *lots* of full-powered loads - the frame isn't quite as strong, and the barrels have a tendency to crack with lots of hot 125-grain loads.

The Ruger's have a slightly worse trigger feel than the S&W, but a good gunsmith or a few minutes swapping out springs can close most of that gap. A GP100 would be a great choice, but the older security-six and service-six are both great guns, and can often be found at a good discount. You'll also never wear out a ruger, and if you do they'll fix it for free.

You really can't go wrong with either Ruger or S&W.

IMHO a 4" barrel is the perfect all-around pistol, but for range duty there's nothing wrong with a 6".

Stainless is easier to keep clean, but there's something about the blueing on a classic smith.

In theory, I might shy away from a S&W M19 if you intend to shoot *lots* of full-powered loads - the frame isn't quite as strong, and the barrels have a tendency to crack with lots of hot 125-grain loads.

The Ruger's have a slightly worse trigger feel than the S&W, but a good gunsmith or a few minutes swapping out springs can close most of that gap. A GP100 would be a great choice, but the older security-six and service-six are both great guns, and can often be found at a good discount. You'll also never wear out a ruger, and if you do they'll fix it for free.

The truth is above, the Smith K frames in 4"-6" barrel are hard to beat but if you plan on shooting it a lot with full house .357 Magnums then step up to an N frame Smith. Ruger 101 SP's are great too and the GP's are frigging crowbars. Taurus and Rossi shouldn't be discounted but if you can afford a really nice Smith or Ruger, they will retain/gain value better.

this
i56.tinypic.com_vzxwfq.jpg

Back
Top Bottom