• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

First Revolver Suggestion??

I think it depends on how much you really want to shoot and how aggressive you are going to get on the reloads.
If you are going to continulay push the high-end in power, I'd go with a Ruger, Dan Wesson, or S&W 28 (from lowest to highest expense)
If you are looking for shooting huge amounts of, fast double action and/or light bullets, I'd go with a 586/686.
If you are looking for normal loads (~135-160g bullets) in a perfectly balanced piece - S&W 19 or 66
If you are planning on hunting go with ~ 6"
If you do not want to take care in keeping it cleaned oiled and polished - Go stainless

Do not buy a small frame (i.e s&W 60 or Ruger lcr, or sp101) and plan to shoot 100's in a range visit -- a larger piece will give you much more pleasure
Over all, as others have said you will not be disappointing in the 686 or gp101.
If you have small hands, you will probably not like the large frame S&Ws.

I left Colt off the list. They are wonderfully firearms but in .357 are not "moderately priced", neither is the S&W model 27, and the model 28 shoots just as good.

This my experience: I have had the sights shift on a Ruger security six, my first .357. Dan Wesson was accurate but locked up on me with a live round in it and hammer cocked !!! My brother in law had trouble with Colt's and they get out of time fairly easy too. I started shooting a S&W in 1984 and have never looked back. If you like a balanced pistol maybe a model 66 or a "N" frame I think a model 27 or 28 .357. I personally like the 686, it's beefier and I like the extra muzzel weight. It helps muzzel controll. Taurus is also good, but for investment, sights, action, looks and proven durability The S&W is the top of my list. Also get an older one that has either a slot in the frame behind the trigger for a trigger stop or a target model that already has all the goodies { target hammer, target trigger, tigger stop, and be sure to get the red ramp and a white outline rear adjustable sights } and the stainless hardware that they don't make anymore { trigger and hammer }. This is my experience of tens of thousands of rounds in revolver shooting.

500 S&W. It will cover any problems you run into. Go with the 4 inch barrel for concealment........JUST KIDDING! I don't know enough about revolvers to listen to me anyway.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus. I'd go with a Smith.

What HE said!!! I'd add that a Three- or Four-inch barreled, medium-frame .357 revolver is probably the MOST VERSATILE handgun one can own...like a Smith & Wesson Model 13, 19, 581, 586, 65, 66, 681 or 686...YMMV, of course....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom