• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How do you store your ammo?

I always understood that powder and ammo shouldn't be stored in a sealed container, especially one made of metal. In the event of a fire ammo will harmlessly cook-off, unless it's able to build up pressure.

I keep mine in either the shipping boxes (bulk ammo) or in thiose plastic ammo cans. There's no way that those would be able to create an actual explosion by containing enough pressure to matter.

I had another member mention to me about getting a fire cabinet. I'd have to inherit one like you did though. Those things go for big bucks...

This one has heavy walls and door, and is short and square. The type they used for chemical boxes. Back when they made heavy boxes made of metal.. I don't know the measurements. It is probably 3 feet tall, and at least a couple of feet deep, and probably 3 feet wide. It would not be a picnic breaking into. It can be done, but not without time and effort. Where it is located is more important than what it is stored in, IMO...At least it was until that very tragic boating accident we had last year. Lost it all brother. More than 10k rounds. Poof. Bye.

I always understood that powder and ammo shouldn't be stored in a sealed container, especially one made of metal. In the event of a fire ammo will harmlessly cook-off, unless it's able to build up pressure.

I keep mine in either the shipping boxes (bulk ammo) or in thiose plastic ammo cans. There's no way that those would be able to create an actual explosion by containing enough pressure to matter.

My ammo safe has a UL 1 hour 1700 deg fire rating....

Back
Top Bottom