How many rounds for EDC?

And, as a reminder; an attorney friend always says: Don't carry Reloads. Carry something that anyone can purchased at a LGS or Wally World.

Any legal scholars please feel free to comment on that advice.

Not an attorney but I play one after three brews. This is not an issue in a good self defense shooting.

Glock 19
15+1 and a spare 17
All the time, everywhere I go, 24/7. Included with it a TLR-1 that sleeps in a Bravo Concealment holster.

You mean 2.

But what are the probability that you are going to face more than 2 armed determined attackers who are not going to be deterred by the chance of getting shot and killed by their target? Pretty low compared to the PITA of carrying a full frame gun.

Ordinarily having a weapon, without even using it will have an inordinate impact on would be aggressors. No one likes surprise, not even thugs. Even if they are armed, if their victim shoots back unexpectedly, it changes the calculus in their minds and they are more likely to flee.

Sorry, I was using the 50% 'hit rate' for cops. While I've heard there's evidence that permit holders do much better (like 80% or so), the police percentage is the one I've seen documented.

At a 50% hit rate, with 3 shots per attacker, a 6+1 is barely enough to stop a single attacker and have one in the pipe while you reload.

The odds of facing multiple attackers is probably less than a single one in most carry-type situations, but it's definitely still a real possibility and it's when you are most likely justified in using a gun in the first place.

WIll they be scared and run off? Maybe.

Or they may hear you fire that 7th round and go click-click-click...then stomp you into the ground because you don't have 2 seconds to execute a perfect reload to get another 6 rounds into the gun.

Sorry, I was using the 50% 'hit rate' for cops. While I've heard there's evidence that permit holders do much better (like 80% or so), the police percentage is the one I've seen documented.

At a 50% hit rate, with 3 shots per attacker, a 6+1 is barely enough to stop a single attacker and have one in the pipe while you reload.

The odds of facing multiple attackers is probably less than a single one in most carry-type situations, but it's definitely still a real possibility and it's when you are most likely justified in using a gun in the first place.

WIll they be scared and run off? Maybe.

Or they may hear you fire that 7th round and go click-click-click...then stomp you into the ground because you don't have 2 seconds to execute a perfect reload to get another 6 rounds into the gun.
Agree 100% Single stacks are for back up, not primary. The "pack" BG scenarios are growing while the popularity of single stacks grow in the firearms community. Seems like the wrong direction. Though I carry a compact for physical comfort, I carry full size bu mags for mental comfort. A few thousands of an inch and a few ounces of weight does not justify the loss in firepower. It takes 3 single stack mags and 2 reloads to equate to 1 of my fullsize mags. With the right belt and holster the difference in comfort is negligible. Just my .02

Meanwhile the probability of you ever needing to draw a weapon is still minuscule. I have enough trouble justifying the PITA of carrying my little toy gun. But if walking around like a self-propelled arsenal makes you feel better, have fun.

I see plenty of armed guards still carry a hefty .357 revolver, and if anyone were likely to encounter a multi-bad-guy situation it would be them, so that's saying something about capacity vs. risk mitigation.

I don't think there is a wrong answer here tho. Carry whatever makes you comfortable and whatever is comfortable to carry. I've done the risk assesment in my head and a highly concealable 7 round 9mm is more than comforting for me. I do keep extra mags in the car. And sometimes on my person. If I carry a double stack 9mm, it's a CZ P01 because its the most concealable (and reliable) double stack I've found, and I shoot it way better than a tupperware brick.

Back
Top Bottom