How many rounds for EDC?

I agree with what one of the other guys said: If I have to pull a gun in a defensive situation, I want to pull a LOT of gun. I carry a full-size USP 9mm with 18+1 of 9mm (steel OEM mags, not plastic). If I need to go for deep concealment, I'll carry the USP Compact 9mm, 13+1. I always, always carry a spare mag in my pocket for whatever gun I'm carrying, so 37 with the USP or 27 with the USP Compact. I have a Shield (8+1), but I wouldn't carry it unless the gun needed to be practically invisible. For me, the smaller the gun, the harder it is to draw and get on target quickly and securely. I get a much faster and more secure purchase on a full-size grip.

For me, carrying a lot of rounds is comforting (mentally, not physically), because I know that if I had to use use it, it would be exactly the handgun I'd want - I wouldn't be thinking, 'Crap, I wish I had brought a bigger gun!'

I carry 9mm (Federal 147 gr) because it is proven to work very well, I can shoot it quickly and accurately, and I can carry a lot of rounds (which I just see as extra insurance).

If I felt the need to compensate for a perceived lack of masculine anatomy, and I didn't like listening to rational arguments - I'd still be decently well off carrying a USP 45 (12+1 of Federal 230 gr) ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, i would carry a s&w 9c over a shield. Not worth giving up the rounds for a slightly thinner profile. Plus, your spare mag can be 17 rnds instead of 8...

i carry the 9C,Thats what i chose to carry out to movies and out shopping,plus a 17 round in my pocket, but when out on the bike its open carry M&P9p long slide with two spare mags plus on long rides i put a few 32s in the saddle bag.

On this topic I always defer to the wisdom of Col. Jeff Cooper who said, "Carry the biggest gun that you will carry & can hit with".

Sure many civilian shootings are over after 5 or 6 rds. are fired but I teach my students to never "expect" a defensive situation to be exactly how you plan for it to be since you don't pick the time, place, or manner in which it goes down.... someone else does.
If the average hit ratio of (somewhat) trained Police Officers is only 20%, what ratio can the average civilian expect who usually has little to no formal training?

I believe it was Erik Lund who used to say,"No one after a gunfight has ever wished they had a smaller gun or less ammo".

I encourage all my students, regardless of what gun they carry, to carry spare ammo for a number of reasons.

Firearms generally make very poor clubs & while yes most people flee when shots start being fired, once you start firing you are pretty committed as now you have put others in fear of their lives.
Take for instance the lady in Loganville who hit the home invader 5 out of 6 times with her Colt revolver & then "bluffed" him with an empty gun while walking him out of her house.... no thanks.
A simple speed strip is the minimum I like to see revolver people have available.They're not bulky & easy to use with a little practice.

Since carrying around a rifle or shotgun is not possible, I like the "firepower superiority" that a high cap. mag. pistol affords me.
For many years now I have carried a Glock 19/23 with (1) 17/15 full size spare mag.
It gives me peace of mind that in a deadly confrontation initiated by an individual or a number of B.G.s (many of whom use "pack methodology" like wolves or coyotes) I have the capacity to "see the situation through" if they are hardened, more determined than less committed attackers or even use cover/concealment.
I believe in being as "hard of a target" as possible.

Also the majority of stoppages I see at the range with semi-autos come from bad magazines, usually spring related.
I carry a spare mag. not necessarily in fear of a "zombie uprising" but more to have a backup mag. if my primary goes down.

One last thought, if a semi-trained Police Officer only averages 1 hit out of 5 shots it would be a very good idea for a serious civilian who carries a firearm for self-defense to at least seek out some formal training somewhere by a professional to gain an edge & be better qualified to protect themself.
Years ago I posed the question, "If you had a serious, deadly threat against you/ your family, would you "hire yourself" to deal with it"

As long as you get quality instruction it doesn't really matter where you get it.
Or at least find a range that allows "tactical" shooting & (safely) work up to drills (like Todd Louis Greens F.A.S.T. drill) that challenges you to be both faster & accurate.

I would say learning to shoot well under stress so that each shot counts is just as important as carrying extra ammo.... though I would encourage you to do both.:)

On this topic I always defer to the wisdom of Col. Jeff Cooper who said, "Carry the biggest gun that you will carry & can hit with".

Sure many civilian shootings are over after 5 or 6 rds. are fired but I teach my students to never "expect" a defensive situation to be exactly how you plan for it to be since you don't pick the time, place, or manner in which it goes down.... someone else does.
If the average hit ratio of (somewhat) trained Police Officers is only 20%, what ratio can the average civilian expect who usually has little to no formal training?

I believe it was Erik Lund who used to say,"No one after a gunfight has ever wished they had a smaller gun or less ammo".

I encourage all my students, regardless of what gun they carry, to carry spare ammo for a number of reasons.

Firearms generally make very poor clubs & while yes most people flee when shots start being fired, once you start firing you are pretty committed as now you have put others in fear of their lives.
Take for instance the lady in Loganville who hit the home invader 5 out of 6 times with her Colt revolver & then "bluffed" him with an empty gun while walking him out of her house.... no thanks.
A simple speed strip is the minimum I like to see revolver people have available.They're not bulky & easy to use with a little practice.

Since carrying around a rifle or shotgun is not possible, I like the "firepower superiority" that a high cap. mag. pistol affords me.
For many years now I have carried a Glock 19/23 with (1) 17/15 full size spare mag.
It gives me peace of mind that in a deadly confrontation initiated by an individual or a number of B.G.s (many of whom use "pack methodology" like wolves or coyotes) I have the capacity to "see the situation through" if they are hardened, more determined than less committed attackers or even use cover/concealment.
I believe in being as "hard of a target" as possible.

Also the majority of stoppages I see at the range with semi-autos come from bad magazines, usually spring related.
I carry a spare mag. not necessarily in fear of a "zombie uprising" but more to have a backup mag. if my primary goes down.

One last thought, if a semi-trained Police Officer only averages 1 hit out of 5 shots it would be a very good idea for a serious civilian who carries a firearm for self-defense to at least seek out some formal training somewhere by a professional to gain an edge & be better qualified to protect themself.
Years ago I posed the question, "If you had a serious, deadly threat against you/ your family, would you "hire yourself" to deal with it"

As long as you get quality instruction it doesn't really matter where you get it.
Or at least find a range that allows "tactical" shooting & (safely) work up to drills (like Todd Louis Greens F.A.S.T. drill) that challenges you to be both faster & accurate.

I would say learning to shoot well under stress so that each shot counts is just as important as carrying extra ammo.... though I would encourage you to do both.:)

100% agree with everything you said!! When at an indoor range I like to run the target out to 21', stand with weapon holstered and hands up, have some one hit the home button (so the target is advancing) and then they call the number of shots where my shots are supposed to go. I try to use snap caps to simulate failures and do reloads on these drills too. Slamming a red bull and doing jumping jacks helps me to deal with elevated heart rate. Keeps it fun and for 100 rounds or so you can get a tremendous amount of muscle memory out of it.

100% agree with everything you said!! When at an indoor range I like to run the target out to 21', stand with weapon holstered and hands up, have some one hit the home button (so the target is advancing) and then they call the number of shots where my shots are supposed to go. I try to use snap caps to simulate failures and do reloads on these drills too. Slamming a red bull and doing jumping jacks helps me to deal with elevated heart rate. Keeps it fun and for 100 rounds or so you can get a tremendous amount of muscle memory out of it.

See... that's what I'm talking about. Good stuff.

Sure one has to practice & maintain fundamentals but if (at some point) you don't introduce stress into the equation you are setting yourself up for failure in real life.

Many people can hit a target when it's 72 degrees, partly cloudy, there no smudges on their amber shooting glasses, no one else is firing, they're well rested, they have a resting heartbeat of 68 b.p.m., the target is RIGHT in front of them & sitting completely STILL!

Conditions you don't really see in a street fight or home invasion....

Reactions: MSS
See... that's what I'm talking about. Good stuff.

Sure one has to practice & maintain fundamentals but if (at some point) you don't introduce stress into the equation you are setting yourself up for failure in real life.

Many people can hit a target when it's 72 degrees, partly cloudy, there no smudges on their amber shooting glasses, no one else is firing, they're well rested, they have a resting heartbeat of 68 b.p.m., the target is RIGHT in front of them & sitting completely STILL!

Conditions you don't really see in a street fight or home invasion....
I will add, I do it with sunglasses too. I get funny looks at first but then people see the drills and they instantly get it.
Train under the worse possible conditions you can imagine and you will be better prepared than your enemy.

Back
Top Bottom