• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is my gun stolen?

woodstock

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
INCARCERATED. DO NOT FEED
77   0
Reaction score
I have a ruger that I want to carry, but want to know first if it's been reported stolen.
Just so happened there was a Leo in the neighborhood, so I asked him to run the serial, which he said he would, and also said "if it's stolen, you know I'll have to take it ".
Which I of course knew.

So he runs the number and it doesn't come back as anything, not hot-just no record at all! What the heck!He tried it a couple different ways, same result.
The only thing remotely close in numbers (using a partial serial) was a colt 38 with ivory grips that was stolen.

I had checked the number at ruger's site, it follows the correct format and has the right amount of numbers, so have no idea what's going on.
Am going to call ruger in the am and see if that is a legit #, and if so get them to send me what info they have.
This is stainless, shows no marks of anything being ground and changed .

Anyone ever run into this?
Any other suggestions?

If it is not stolen, their will be no record of it in police records. They only keep track of stolen guns.

Your fine

If running the numbers comes up with nothing, that's a good thing. The police should only have a number in their system if something is reported stolen. There's no gun registration in Georgia.

Why would the police know anything about the gun if it wasn't reported stolen? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, just honestly curious?

First of all WHY ARE YOU SO SUSPICIOUS of the Gun? Sounds to me like you know something is Not Right or Fishy about it or you'd have No Concerns.

I have a ruger that I want to carry, but want to know first if it's been reported stolen.
Just so happened there was a Leo in the neighborhood, so I asked him to run the serial, which he said he would, and also said "if it's stolen, you know I'll have to take it ".
Which I of course knew.

So he runs the number and it doesn't come back as anything, not hot-just no record at all! What the heck!He tried it a couple different ways, same result.
The only thing remotely close in numbers (using a partial serial) was a colt 38 with ivory grips that was stolen.

I had checked the number at ruger's site, it follows the correct format and has the right amount of numbers, so have no idea what's going on.
Am going to call ruger in the am and see if that is a legit #, and if so get them to send me what info they have.
This is stainless, shows no marks of anything being ground and changed .

Anyone ever run into this?
Any other suggestions?

Yeah, I don't see any reason to run a gun unless you bought it off the back of a truck. :) Maybe it was never registered... maybe it came from a different state originally?

Back
Top Bottom